Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flow splitting a Tee

adavis
adavis Member Posts: 11
good day, I am looking for some opinions on the subject of Flow splitting a Tee. were a tee is fed into the branch, and split into two runs supplying two locations or appliances. is the pressure drop, turbulence or split amounts higher then adding an elbow to the the tee to change direction, In this case natural gas is used.

I have added pictures or clarification

Thank you for you time
Zipper13

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    There's no change but I would put some distance between the tee and elbow.
    No close nipples. (Like the pic is showing)
    No street elbows.
    Use bell reducer couplings. NO bushings.
    JUGHNEdelta Tadavis
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @adavis

feeding into the branch of the tee is called "bullheading" and it should be avoided it's not considered "good piping practice"

However, it is done and if the pipe is "oversized" there will probably be no issues. But on a new job why not just avoid it?

In your picture circled red put the feed into the run of a tee on the 30' pc and feed 1 appliance off the branch of that tee. The other end of the tee gets a nipple and a 90 to feed the other appliance
    adavis
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    @HVACNUT, no close nipples or street elbows? What do you work for the gas company? :lol:
    adavis
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Close nipples and streets are ok in MA, no galvanized, bushings or cast iron (usually, cast iron has a few exemptions)
    adavis
  • adavis
    adavis Member Posts: 11
    Thank you everyone for the information