Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Interesting..metal used to heat and cool

Options

Comments

• mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    I wonder what efficiency impact an increase in temperature has? If i bend it at 100F outdoors and uncoil it at 75F, does if operate with the same efficiency?

How large of a spool do you need per ton of cooling?

Can I connect it to a bicycle if the power goes out? Actually I see a great application from wind power and micro hydro where you can use old school motive power from either in developing countries.

In theory, heat transfer is decoupled from temperature, so you can change latent/sensible ratio and total capacity simply by carrying rotational speed.

The challenge is that in retrofits you will still need a water cooled system to pump heat a longer distance.
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Options
    What a fantastic site, learned about the molecules that store heat from sunlight, now this, heat/cold from bending metal.
    Thank you, many of us come here to learn, and it works.
    delta T
  • ddunn
    ddunn Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Interesting. But 36F isn't a very large delta between the hot side and the cold side.
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Options
    Stack two units for a 72F delta?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Great concept. Metal fatigue likely to be one of the major hurdles to overcome. I'm also wondering what size the bundle will need to be to be effective for heating/cooling (obviously driven by conditioned area to be heated/cooled) and at what speed the winding/unwinding must occur?