Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New home with 300 gallon tub and small radiant heating load

solradman
solradman Member Posts: 58
Looking at a job that will have a 300 gallon soaking tub and a heating load of 37,551 Btu's. Home will have radiant floors and plan is to using a mod-con boiler. Would a 199,000 Btu boiler and 80 gallon indirect be better than a couple tankless units just for the bathroom with tub. Thinking the tub will need 250 gallons as fast as possible. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Separate the DHW and heating loads
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    kcoppdelta TSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hello, Any chance they would go for a smaller capacity tub? If so, you could combine systems. Looking on-line, I see 60 gallons for deep soaking tubs. 300 is a lot! If they are inflexible, I'd look at tankless units jut to serve that tub. You're probably looking for at least 5 gpm at a 90 degree rise for half of the water. That's 25 minutes to fill!

300 gallons could be OK if the water were treated and the tub stayed full, like a hot tub. :#

Yours, Larry
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @solradman

Where I come from that's not a soaking tub it's a swimming pool!

If they have the $$$$ for that they have to have the $$ for the water heater to feed it.
    JUGHNEkcopp
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    300 gallons is a big tub. I have never seen one that big without it's own heater.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Two 199,000 tankless has water heaters will give you about 11 GPM
    RINNAI makes a demand duo 199,000 tankless on a 119 gallon storage tank. They now have two 199,000 tankless on a 119 gallon tank.
    Vaughn has 119 gallon indirect water heater that you can get two coils in it.
    Check those options out.
    How many times are they going to fill a 300 gallon tub?
    Is this on a municipal water system or on a private well?
    If on a private well system what how many GPM does the well pump produce. If the well pump only pumps 7 gallon per minute that is all you are going to get.
    If on a well system do they have their own septic system that 300 gallons dumping into a older septic system can cause problems.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Tankless shines in this example. I agree with Bob eck, two will give better results. Will this place have a private sewer and well, or municipal?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!