Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Insulation Inside of Steam Boiler has chipped off -Is this normal?

JRobert
JRobert Member Posts: 6
I have an Burnham Independence Steam Boiler - 17 years old.

I recently noticed some debris below the burners and determined that it came from the left side and ceiling of the chamber. It appears to be pieces of hard insulation that has chipped off over time. Interestingly, the right side has not chipped off that much.

Is this a normal occurrence in the life of a steam boiler or a sign that it is time for a new one?

Thanks!

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Oil fired? Sounds like it may be time to have the chamber relined.
  • JRobert
    No, it's a steam boiler. I didn't know that the combustion chamber could be relined. Any idea how much it costs?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    JRobert said:

No, it's a steam boiler. I didn't know that the combustion chamber could be relined. Any idea how much it costs?

Is it an oil fired steam boiler? Post a picture of the boiler and the combustion chamber, if you can.
  • JRobert
    Here is a picture of the combustion chamber minus the burners.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    I am sure that can be replaced. Download the boiler manual from Burnham and see if you can identify the part #s.

The deterioration I see in the picture is pretty minor. If that is the extent of it I wouldn't be overly concerned. If you have other areas with the same deterioration then I would address it this summer
  • JRobert
    Thanks for your help!
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    I’m not sure but you might be able ot just apply refractory on top of it. It’s a cement-like powder mix that I think you just add water too. I’ll look it up.