Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honewell Zone Valve V8043E gets stuck

Le John
Le John Member Posts: 226
Yesterday I was notified through the Honeywell Total Comfort app that my temperature in one of the zones had fallen 10 degrees past it's set point prompting an alert to my phone. When I got home and looked at the TACO zone valve controller only the yellow light was illuminated. I looked at the zone's Honeywell Zone Valve V8043E and it appears to have gotten stuck. I had to apply some force to the manual lever but it became free and it opened and the boiler fired. It seems OK now but should I replace the motor? If it got stuck one I'm sure it will happen again. Any assistance is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I'd replace the motor/power head assy. You can buy a new valve and remove the 4 screws and replace the packing and rubber ball too.

Check that you dont see any green stuff around the shaft when you remove the power head.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Le John
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    You may find a deformed ball, I've found them slightly deformed from too much heat during installation, or ??

STEVEusaPALe John
  • Le John
    Thank you @Solid_Fuel_Man and @GBart for the info. I'll probably attempt to replace over the weekend. I know its a mechanical device with moving parts that can break but is there a preferred zone valve that you pros like to use?
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,136
    I like to to use either the Erie zone valves or the new Taco valves. The Honeywell V8043E have a very high rate of failure, especially when glycol is used. Maybe I'm jaded because that's the majority of what I see in my area, but the quality just isn't there.
    Caleffi makes some nice zone valves as well.
    Le John
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I use the Caleffi Z-One valves exclusively.

That said you can completely rebuild that Honeywell without any soldering by replacing the square piece with the rubber ball and a new power head. I'd likely do that as it doesn't require removal of the old valve body.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Le John
    I replaced the head. It looks like it was stuck in the open position.
  • Le John
    Thank you all for the assistance!
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
    edited March 2019
    Often, on older valves, the ball assembly shaft & seal will bind up and not rotate easily. With the motor removed from the valve body, the protruding shaft connector should rotate freely left & right using your thumb & forefinger. A new motor & gears will wear out quickly if the shaft assembly is stiff.....
  • Le John
    @MikeL_2 I started doing the research as @GBart and @Solid_Fuel_Man mentions above and was able to rotate the shaft connector with ease from left to right so I didn’t open the shaft assembly. Fo you think I should still replace it?
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
    edited March 2019
    Le John,
    I'll always replace the ball, shaft, & plate assembly along with the power head.......