Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heater hisses and clanks but does not get warm

Heat2019
Heat2019 Member Posts: 2
I have a steam heater on the 2nd floor which I thought was connected to the other heaters. Just found out because of a separate leak that this particular heater is on its own piping. I changed the valve a couple of years ago but unless I turn my heat up 3 temp more which then makes the other room feel like fire this heater does not come on. So for the last few winters I just keep the room door open so some warmth enters that room. The heater is already angled on the floor but still no heat. My question is I have a 1/8" angle valve #6 which is for the second floor should I be using a different valve because it is on a single pipe?

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    I believe the problem is probably related to the boiler itself, not the radiator "heater" but I could be wrong. It would help if you posted pictures of the boiler and piping, as well as the radiators.
  • Heat2019
    Heat2019 Member Posts: 2
    Ok. I will take pix and get back to you soon
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    What main vents do you have on the main that feeds that radiator run-out? In most cases, if you get steam to that radiator when you turn the Thermostat up, causing the boiler to run longer, it is because you are not venting the main well enough to get the air out of it fast enough for steam to head to that radiator. Vent the mains fast and the radiators slowly. Post pictures of the main vents and tell us how long and what diameter each main is and we can tell you what vents to use on them.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Also while you are taking pictures -- a picture of the inlet valve to the radiator in question and the vent on that radiator as well.

While you are at it, see if there are any nearly horizontal sections of pipe between the radiator and the main in the basement.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England