Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My Burnham RV3 blower won't start- blower relay is good. Starts if relay terminals are shorted!

Options
HansonG
HansonG Member Posts: 12
Like the title says-. RV3 with power vent, propane, about 14 YO. I've ordered a new Aquastat, but have suspicions it won't fix the issue. Reads 120v at incoming side of new relay. Circulators run, mixing valve turns on startup, zone valves open/close. Schematic is a bit cryptic but I've done lots of testing and "wiggling" connectors while powered up with no response per se. One thing I read here is about the low water shutoff- will that prevent blower from starting up? I'm going through the Burnham diagnostic "tree" tonight but would appreciate any insights available.

Thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Seems to me that if it runs when you short the output contacts of the blower relay, that for some reason the blower relay isn't being energized. When you say you have 120 volts across the incoming side, what does that mean? That there are 120 volts across the coil? it should snap closed. Or do you mean you have 120 volts on both coil terminals? In that case, there is an open somewhere between the coil and the neutral which you need to find.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,164
    Options
    If you don't understand the schematic I wouldn't mess with it any further. Instead of ordering parts that may or may not help, maybe the money would be better spent on a service call.