Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect coil descaling, follow-up to old post

SV9_9
SV9_9 Member Posts: 37
edited March 2019 in Gas Heating
Thanks to those who gave me advice regarding the descaling of my SS-45. It took me a while to get around to this, but I thought the results were worth posting. I shocked the coil as Ironman suggested. I flushed the tank with vinegar and water after as well. The clear water in the first pic is from the initial draining of the tank. The muck that came out of this thing after shocking the coil was, well, pretty shocking! ( to me at least ). This completely solved a short cycling issue during calls for DWH.
Thanks again, J
SuperTechIronman

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @Ironman knows his stuff
    STEVEusaPASuperTechIronman
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    He's the best! You should post a link to that thread to help others.
    steve
  • SV9_9

He's the best! You should post a link to that thread to help others.

Steve, I am not sure how to create a link, do you mean to the original thread?
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    Looks like you did a great job with descaling that coil! Did you flush it through opposite of the direction of normal flow?

Would it be possible to install a replaceable scale stopper on the coil to protect it?
  • SV9_9
    edited March 2019
    SuperTech said:

Looks like you did a great job with descaling that coil! Did you flush it through opposite of the direction of normal flow?

Would it be possible to install a replaceable scale stopper on the coil to protect it?

SuperTech, I am not sure what you have in mind in respect to a replaceable scale stopper. Perhaps this could be done chemicaly on the boiler side.
    This water heater has been in service about ten years. It had not been cleaned prior. I was getting some short cycling during calls for DWH and thought the coil might be crudded up. I was only trying to descale the tank side of the coil, so no reverse flow. I just jumped the aqua-stat to get the boiler to fire with the tank empty. As soon as the SWT reached 170F, I opened the fill valve to the tank. Just filled it enough to completely cover the coil. I really had reservations about doing this. I took Ironmans advice and got great results. I washed the tank out with a submersible pump in a 5 gal. bucket with 50% solution of water and vinegar. Ran that through for about half an hour. Thanks for your response, J
  • SV9_9
    Steve, Thanks for posting the link.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    Google Aquapure AP430SS. It goes on the cold water side of the coil. I've used them with success on flat rate heat exchangers and tankless oil fired boiler coils.
  • SV9_9
    Thanks SuperTech, I will look at that.