Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Not enough heat from a SYSTEM 2000

2»

Comments

• teablender
    teablender Member Posts: 11
    Update from Tea Blender: Installation technicians were here Monday afternoon, Feb 19th, to make the changes to our System 2000 heating system. I believe they accomplished everything they were planning: replacement of the circulator, replacement of the air scoop with a Webstone air separator, and addition of a cleaning chemical to the system and then flushing it. The solution they added produced very dirty water and a substance that looked like mud. The technicians weren't sure what that stuff was or where it came from. We have town water here and have never had a problem with staining or contaminants. The water coming out of the system is clear now.
    The results so far:
    1. The “jet engine” noise is gone. What a difference. Thank you! The technicians heard a high pitch sound coming from the circulator and thought it was probably the source. I'm not sure since the sound only started shortly after the burner started up and stopped when the burner turned off, The circulator was, of course, running all the time. Anyway, it's gone but see 3 below.
    2. Because it’s so warm out, I can’t check if there’s an improvement in the heating performance yet. I’ll let you know about that after more cold weather.
    3. There is once again a very loud "bubbling/gurgling" coming from the boiler itself which as of today, five days later, has not decreased any at all. There is no noise coming from the heat registers in the house, only from what sounds like the boiler itself.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what is causing this? If it's air, why isn't the system eliminating it? I will give it until Monday (one week) and will call the installation company again. I have someone coming next week who has a System 2000 installed in his home and we are going to compare experiences. His system works fine. I want the same for mine.
  • the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    I imagine that sludge was in your old circulator and restricting flow.
  • Roger
    Roger Member Posts: 329
    Thank you for your post, teablender.
    I’m glad specific items were addressed, and that your boiler is much quieter and the “mud” was cleaned from your system.
    I still think your best path to an expedient solution for your site specific issues is to continue to work with the heating professionals already involved and our territory manager. I’ll let them know about your post and concerns.
    Best,
    Roger
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
    HVACNUTErin Holohan HaskellRich_49
  • Jersey2
    Jersey2 Member Posts: 166
    I was thinking of getting an Energy Kinetics boiler and read that getting parts might be problematic which may or may not be true. Would you recommend a EK System 2000?
    I'm not a plumber or hvac man and my thoughts in comments are purely for conversation.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,140
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="Jersey2">I was thinking of getting an Energy Kinetics boiler and read that getting parts might be problematic which may or may not be true. Would you recommend a EK System 2000? </blockquote>

The only proprietary parts that may fail prematurely for whatever reason are the energy manager and it's sensor, both can be easily bypassed by installing the dummy board that is usually supplied with the boiler. I haven't had to replace either of those components for a couple of years now and I service a bunch of EK boilers.

They make a fine boiler, I always recommend them without hesitation.
    szwedj
  • JoeHNJ
    JoeHNJ Member Posts: 18
    Thank you for your question, @jersey2 , and for all the positive comments!

Nearly all component parts are available through wholesale distribution, and heating professionals can order all parts factory direct at (800) 323-2066. You can see more information here:
    https://energykinetics.com/system2000-parts-trade-list-price/

Nearly all systems can run without those parts for emergency heat by moving a few wires.

We have a deep inventory of parts, supporting all of our heating systems dating back to when we were founded in 1979.
    Joe Harazim
    Technical Support
    ENERGY KINETICS
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    MY GOD THIS IS A CRAZY THREAD

First off if a System 2000 is not going over 160 on a call for heat THE HIGH LIMIT IS SET TOO LOW, IT'S THE GREY BOX ON THE BACK OF THE BOILER NEXT TO THE CIRCULATOR, IT SHOULD HAVE A DECAL ON IT THAT SAYS SOMETHING 205=215

TAAA DAAA
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    netsurfer said:

The red LED bars never get to 160 F 120 to 140 is about max and the furnace runs almost continually. It go to a balmy 27 F outside today and the house did get to 69...bearable. The Control Manager is not blinking any codes. As long as it stays 25 +F outside it seems to be able to keep up. My oil co knew what ws there before they installed the System 2000. I am not home till April but my son is at the house. I do not know what size boiler they installed but theyare a huge regional company on the east coast. They stopped installing these systems due to parts availability. Am tempted to replace it with a cast iron wet base Weil McLain.

The red LED bars never get to 160 F 120 to 140 is about max and the furnace runs almost continually. The red LED bars never get to 160 F 120 to 140 is about max and the furnace runs almost continually.

Seems to run continuously, but not the burner, now it could be something else BUT why didn't anyone point this out??

If that isn't it ( simple things first) we have to wonder if this boiler was sized correctly, if it was piped correctly which it seems to have been.

Heat load calc next, size up the baseboard, etc
  • Jersey2
    Okay thanks guys. @heatingnewbie is the install complete? May I ask how much it cost? I most likely will get an EK unit. Am waiting for the weather to warm up before contacting them.
    I'm not a plumber or hvac man and my thoughts in comments are purely for conversation.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Theres no price discussions on this site but an EK boiler is a good choice. And so must be the installer.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Jersey2
    @heatingnewbie how do you like your system?
  • Jersey2
    Where did heatingnewbie go?