Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Water Heater in the insulated garage

afedorov
afedorov Member Posts: 2
Hello,

I am thinking about converting my garage to an office space. That will require insulating walls and more important insulating garage door that will significantly reduce air circulation in the garage.

Will it affect Gas Water Heater that is installed in the garage?

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,945
    It should not, as long as enough there is enough free air for the gas water heater to breath. Don't build walls around it or close it in.
  • afedorov
    afedorov Member Posts: 2
    How can I check if there is enough? I assume most of the houses have gas water heater in the garage, so if owner converts it to leaving space, lack of ventilation should be a common problem if it is a problem
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,289
    Hello, As long as you're doing a remodel, why not consider installing a heat pump water heater? Running power to it should be pretty easy and then you eliminate the combustion appliance in a living space, and a ducted unit could provide some other benefits. Heat pumps do make some noise however... :o

Yours, Larry
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    What is the BTU input to the water heater? What is the size of the space that will contain the water heater? Is the water heater connected to a chimney?