Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

quick furnace transformer wiring question

i am replacing an old york 025-21911-001 transformer...while positioning it to snap a pic of the wiring before removing it, one of the wire clips fell off. with the 5 thermostat wires, there were 3 thicker gauge wires attached with a clip. an orange wire was connected on the W terminal, the blue common wire connected to C, then a white wire is what slipped off. it seems it had to go on the Y or G but i wanted to be sure....any help? thanks in advance

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    A few pics might help. A pic of the schematic of the unit also.
  • No_Caller_ID
    No_Caller_ID Member Posts: 5
    This is the pic I took for my reference, I just slipped the white wire on that terminal because it was approximate area it came from. This is all I have now as I left that property for the night, but it’s an older York gas furnace with central air connected
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Looks like the right spot.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited February 2019
    Which white wire? Theres two.
    Also bend the white on the Y terminal away from the C terminal a little.
    Post a pic of the wiring diagram. Theres usually an additional wire connected to the G terminal to energize the fan relay.
    The white wire on the Y terminal is factory wiring?
    I might be wrong but the Y terminal is typically just a spot to connect the Y from the thermostat and another wire that goes to the condenser.
  • No_Caller_ID
    No_Caller_ID Member Posts: 5
    The thicker gauge white wire is the one in question. As I said it looks like it could have only been on Y or G. I put it on Y just for the pic, knowing that I was unsure of it.

Not 100% sure but I think all the white wires, besides the thermostat white, were neutrals from the ac power...but this is based off memory and I won’t be back there till later today to verify
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @No_Caller_ID said:
    > The thicker gauge white wire is the one in question. As I said it looks like it could have only been on Y or G. I put it on Y just for the pic, knowing that I was unsure of it.
    >
    > Not 100% sure but I think all the white wires, besides the thermostat white, were neutrals from the ac power...but this is based off memory and I won’t be back there till later today to verify

OK. Post the wiring diagram.