Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Expected Heating cost for attached Northeast 3 family home

Options
2»

Comments

• housefix
    housefix Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Branimal - FYI $450-600/mo in winter heating gas bills for a poorly insulated multifamily property in NYC is not uncommon from my experience. It'll probably be even higher if we weren't having a fairly mild winter here in NYC this year.

Just to give you some context, my parents have a 100 year old detached house in the city; 2 story and 1200 qsft per floor. Similar to your's; it has no insulation, original windows, and steam heat. Years ago it cost $5500/year avg in oil bills to heat the house. Converted it to gas and a new steam boiler and it dropped to ~$2700/year. And this was setting the thermostat at just over 60 degrees during the winter. Then we re-caulked the windows and added R45 attic insulation and the bill dropped just over $2000 a year with the thermostat set to a much more comfortable 68 degrees. Your biggest bang for the buck will be caulking/insulating the windows as much as you can during the winter to prevent air leaks and adding insulation to the roof if you have a crawl space. I also tried insulating the exposed steam pipes in the basement but it only made a minimal difference in the bill and we ended up with a freezing basement. At the end we removed some of the pipe insulation on the return pipe to help keep the basement warmer.

Similarly I own a 100 year old slightly smaller un-insulated semi-detached house in NYC where the tenants controlled the thermostat and the gas bill was roughly $600/mo last year during the winter.
    luketheplumber
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    Options
    Overheating of the first floor area above is common with steam with no insulation and many pipes ...I insulated mine very well and the basement was still toasty. We were always told to not close off any of the radiators totally.

Insulation is important -- air sealing an old house is even more IMO.
    Canucker
  • luketheplumber
    luketheplumber Member Posts: 149
    Options
    housefix said:

Branimal - FYI $450-600/mo in winter heating gas bills for a poorly insulated multifamily property in NYC is not uncommon from my experience. It'll probably be even higher if we weren't having a fairly mild winter here in NYC this year.

Just to give you some context, my parents have a 100 year old detached house in the city; 2 story and 1200 qsft per floor. Similar to your's; it has no insulation, original windows, and steam heat. Years ago it cost $5500/year avg in oil bills to heat the house. Converted it to gas and a new steam boiler and it dropped to ~$2700/year. And this was setting the thermostat at just over 60 degrees during the winter. Then we re-caulked the windows and added R45 attic insulation and the bill dropped just over $2000 a year with the thermostat set to a much more comfortable 68 degrees. Your biggest bang for the buck will be caulking/insulating the windows as much as you can during the winter to prevent air leaks and adding insulation to the roof if you have a crawl space. I also tried insulating the exposed steam pipes in the basement but it only made a minimal difference in the bill and we ended up with a freezing basement. At the end we removed some of the pipe insulation on the return pipe to help keep the basement warmer.

Similarly I own a 100 year old slightly smaller un-insulated semi-detached house in NYC where the tenants controlled the thermostat and the gas bill was roughly $600/mo last year during the winter.

that is not the best thing to do i would use a good weatherstripping like this https://thecraftsmanblog.com/how-to-install-spring-bronze-weatherstripping/
    to keep the windows functional then add a good storm window to help even more do not make the mistake of replacing them if you properly maintain the they could be just as energy efferent as new and last as long as the steam system itself
    I just earned my GED and am looking for a apprenticeship with one of these steam gurus on this site!
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,859
    Options
    New boiler will lower the bills slightly.
    Sealing the envelope is a continuous return on investment!
    Insulation
    Sealing
    Storm windows.
  • housefix
    housefix Member Posts: 7
    Options
    @luketheplumber

Interesting tip for the weatherstripping, I'll have to check it out.. never heard of spring bronze. Parents actually just caulked the edges of the glass panes and installed the thin window film/insulation kits in the winter. Its cheap and it works, but its definitely a pain to put on and take off yearly.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,859
    Options
    Our parents had heavy Winter Curtains.
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Some people tight fit styrofoam in window frame. But same as with heavy curtains inside air moisture condenses on cold window and wood framing rots long term.

Closing curtains or pulling down shades DOES help stop IR radient heat losses. One morning when it was -10 deg dad opened a large window shade. In ~ 15 seconds my skin felt the cold and I was a long ways from window. Told him to close shade and in ~ 15 sec my skin felt warmer
  • branimal
    branimal Member Posts: 210
    Options
    Bill dropped down to $362 for the past 29 day cycle. The changes for this period were :
    1. Insulated the windows with that clear plastic stuff from frost king. I will be replacing all the windows as I renovate each floor.
    2. insulated 85% of the pipes in the basement.

I also serviced my water heater - drained about 10 gallons of murky water and replaced the anode rod.

Next 30 days we'll see the effects of dropping the pressuretrol from 3 /2 to 2/1 (cutoff /differential).

• info43
    info43 Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Brooklyn also, 6 family, 3 stories brick, 28 radiators. Building is over 100 years old. One pipe steam. 45 windows about 20 years old. WM EG-75. Thermostat is set to 70/72. building 25x68

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    You can get the same R advantage with combination storm windows as with new windows. The new windows may be plastic, and only good for 10 years.—NBC
    luketheplumber
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options

So for the 31 day period from 12/17/18 - 1/17/19 I used 347 therms and paid $456.

My gas bill for the 31 day period from 12/18/18 - 1/18/19 I used 93.23 therms and paid $50 (because they charge me the same amount every month and I use very little gas in the summer -- indirect hot water heater attached to my boiler. The bill does say the gas charges that month were $91.11. My house is pretty near Brooklyn. It is 1150 square feet, with downstairs radiant slab at grade and upstairs is very long baseboards. I heat the upstairs to 68F and the downstairs to 69F. I tried using setbacks, but gave that up. It makes no sense for radiant slab at grade, and the outdoor reset is so tight that it takes over four hours to recover from a 3 degree setback in the baseboard zone.

Is the 347 therms for all three units, or just yours? If yours is for three 20x60 units, it is only a little more gas than I use for my one and only unit, a small cape-cod house with pretty good insulation, and in a location that cannot be very different from Brooklyn. I am near Red Bank, NJ, if you want to look it up.