Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Indirect Water Heater?

We are looking for a replacement for our Triangle Tube Prestige 110 boiler, installed in 2006. What is the best one out there? Thanks!

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Sounds like you have a boiler. What happened to it?
  • szweig
    szweig Member Posts: 6
    The air vent stuck, and it flooded, causing the control board and display to fail. I was out of town so my wife called the only contractor in the area who services Triangle Tube products. He came and fixed it but charged us $2265 for the parts. I thought it seemed excessive so I called Triangle Tube to find out the list prices. They send they don't have list prices and that they direct people to Supply House to buy parts. I looked up the parts prices on the Supply House web site and the total is $581. I'm happy to pay a reasonable mark-up for parts, but almost 300% seems excessive. We are moving away and want to rent the house out and I don't want to have a water heater for which the only service provider is a scammer, so I want to replace it with a reliable brand that will have more service providers available.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    That is a problem with some products in some areas. It doesn't matter how good of a product it is unless parts are easily accessible and you have a wide choice of service providers.

I would find out what is available from your local suppliers, so acquisition of model/brand specific parts is not a problem. One of the best things about non condensing boilers is the ability to use universal parts. Once you know what is popular/available locally you can narrow it down to a couple of choices.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    szweig said:

The air vent stuck, and it flooded, causing the control board and display to fail. I was out of town so my wife called the only contractor in the area who services Triangle Tube products. He came and fixed it but charged us $2265 for the parts. I thought it seemed excessive so I called Triangle Tube to find out the list prices. They send they don't have list prices and that they direct people to Supply House to buy parts. I looked up the parts prices on the Supply House web site and the total is $581. I'm happy to pay a reasonable mark-up for parts, but almost 300% seems excessive. We are moving away and want to rent the house out and I don't want to have a water heater for which the only service provider is a scammer, so I want to replace it with a reliable brand that will have more service providers available.

Why is that excessive? What do you pay for a dinner in a restaurant that mark up is well over 300%. Any idea what it costs to operate s HVAC business?
    SuperTech
  • SuperTech
    It's not just about the cost of the part. You paid for a repair. That is the price including labor to install it. And you should also now have a warranty through the installer that you wouldn't have if you purchased it yourself. You are also paying for the convenience of the contractor having the parts on hand, with knowledge, training, licensing and insurance necessary to perform the repair. An awful lot goes into the cost of a repair. And the contractor needs to make a profit, if he doesn't he won't be there to help you out next time you need anything.
    Snowmelt
  • szweig
    The prices did not include labor. The labor charge was in addition to the parts prices. Yes, I know it costs a lot to run an HVAC business, but a 300% mark-up seems excessive. I think a 100% mark-up would be reasonable. What is the industry standard?
  • pecmsg
    szweig said:

The prices did not include labor. The labor charge was in addition to the parts prices. Yes, I know it costs a lot to run an HVAC business, but a 300% mark-up seems excessive. I think a 100% mark-up would be reasonable. What is the industry standard?

There is no industry standard that's exactly why pricing is not allowed!

If you thing were making a killing open a shop and find out!

If after everything was paid that contractor put 10 or 15% in the bank I'd be surprised. and he has to pay taxes on that next year!!!
  • SuperTech
    Ok. Thats completely different. I thought you were charged flat rate pricing, which has become the standard in my area. I only know one company in my area that charges parts and labour separately.
    Flat rate and upfront pricing works better these days where anyone can google the cost of anything. Marking up the parts cost and charging labour on top of it does make it seem like he's sticking it to you.
  • pecmsg
    We still don't know where the OP is and what the cost of doing business is in that area!
    Canucker
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Hence the no prices rule.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Canucker
  • szweig
    I understand and appreciate how hard it is to run an HVAC business. I just want to know what's reasonable. If, in everyone's opinion, a 300% mark-up on top of labor is reasonable, then I will live with it.

But back to my original question: I want to have the option of more than one service provider. Yes, I will contact the other contractors in the area to find out what they are using, but I would like to know what everyone thinks is the most reliable alternative to Triangle Tube. Thanks for your input.
  • kcopp
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,849
    @kcopp How's parts availability/price? Apparently easy to service even for a tech not too familiar with it?
  • szweig
    What about the Weil Mclain Eco 110?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Look at literature from Energy Kinetics. Their EK-1 Frontier Gas is very efficient and uses mostly industry standard parts.
    You can contact EK to see if there are any certified contractors near you.
    SuperTech
  • kcopp
    kcopp said:
    I don't have an issue w/ parts at all. The local supplier should have them in stock.
    I actually have a repair kit that is at my home 24/7 so anything I need is accessible at a moments notice.

My local supplier is The Granite Group.
    D107
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,849
    @kcopp IBC uses copper-aluminum HX--no issues with the aluminum?
  • SuperTech
    I'll put in a second vote for Energy Kinetics. I have never had any problems at all with any of the Frontier gas boilers. I find them to be a rock solid design, easy to work on and service, and parts are almost all available at any supply house. Very efficient too. Definitely consider EK.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Did you check to see if this repair would be covered by your homeowners insurance policy
  • kcopp
    D107 said:

@kcopp IBC uses copper-aluminum HX--no issues with the aluminum?

None.
    D107
  • szweig
    bob eck said:

Did you check to see if this repair would be covered by your homeowners insurance policy

I did and it's not covered. The policy only covers damage to other items, not to the water heater itself.
  • superdave
    superdave Member Posts: 155
    Where do you live?? I am a big believer in finding a good installing contractor asking him what he like and how long has he been using that boiler brand and also checking around your area to see what is being installed. If the contractor say it doesn't matter. They might be on what is the sale that month. Also good chance they don't have parts readily available.

Don't get me wrong it's always good to know more then one brand name all boilers do the same thing and need the same basic 3 thing you need fuel, spark, and air to make it all work its just knowing the sequence of operation. All equipment has moving part that can break down and fail over time especially if not installed properly!!

I like the Baxi brand I have been installing it for almost 19 years we great success. Also Baxi make the boilers for 2 other brand name Dunkirk and Utica so just having the Baxi brand I also have other brands