Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Moth-balling an inactive steam boiler block

Options
bowman
bowman Member Posts: 20
What is the best way to lay-up, store and moth-ball a small residential inactive cast iron steam boiler block so that it can be used again someplace in the future? It has been stripped of everything and is sitting on a pallet.
Should the exterior be sparyed with something to prevent surface rust? Should all the tapings be plugged? Should the threads be treated first? Should it be wrapped up tightly or loosely covered so it has ventilation?
It is being stored inside, but I want to make sure all steps have been taken to preserve it so it could be used again in the future with minimal deterioration due to inactivity. Your thoughts? Thanks

Comments

• luketheplumber
    luketheplumber Member Posts: 149
    Options
    just keep it dry inside and out
    I just earned my GED and am looking for a apprenticeship with one of these steam gurus on this site!
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    not much will happen to the castings. The tappings will corrode so they should be plugged. put some tape and pipe dope on the plugs. This will keep critters out as well.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited February 2019
    Options
    All kinds of things crawl into holes and make a nest or die. Definately seal all holes, or you'll find mice nests and carcasses in them. Spiders, bugs, and dirt plugging smaller holes

Kids even put sticks and stuff in holes.

Dry out inside before sealing holes
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    Plastic rap on all four sides as well as the other advice given. The same rap used to secure deliveries on a pallet.
  • Intplm.
    Options
    Whoops. That should have said all 6 sides
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I would make sure all the plugs will come out and then reinsert, just beyond hand tight, with never seize compound.
    Everyone has encountered frozen plugs under the jacket and they are a bear to loosen.

Could the plastic wrap trap moister under it?
    GrallertIntplm.
  • Grallert
    Options
    Could the plastic wrap trap moister under it?
    I agree here I wouldn't wrap it in plastic. I't will acquire surface rust but that's about it and rust will show up wrapped or not. The rust won't hurt it at all as long as the threads are kept clean.
  • Intplm.
    Options
    I haven't done this but have seen other spray with a light spray of WD40 before wrapping.
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    Options
    My experience with penetrating oil is it's so light weight it dries in ~ 2weeks
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Has anyone heard of cosmoline grease?
    IIRC it was used to preserve military surplus gear.
    Guns, tools etc.
  • Grallert
    Options
    I'd be worried about coating the boiler with any protective substance. When or if it's ever recommissioned that coating is going to off gas and stink for a while, maybe a long while.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

Has anyone heard of cosmoline grease?
    IIRC it was used to preserve military surplus gear.
    Guns, tools etc.

That stuff is a pain to get back off again (in my experience). My dad has some water proof grease, which is about as much fun.

If you want to do the over the top thing, get a large heavy duty plastic bag of some kind, bag it up and then put a couple PSI of an inert gas inside. When you are ready for it, it will be exactly the same as when you stored it.

The other alternative is to just plug up the block and put a few PSI of inert gas on the inside.

I wouldn't do any of this myself, but that is about the most sure fire way to keep it from corroding.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Intplm.
    Options
    Off- gassing with DW40 ? Shouldn't be an issue.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    Pluggs Never-Sezied
    Low Pressure Gauge
    Dry the inside with N2 and pressurize 1 or 2 #'s
    Intplm.