Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

i need to know which boiler to use

i have on one of my floor floor heating that i did not activated it yet
my steam gas boiler is not working
so i need to change the boiler
since on my second floor and in the basement i have radiator
Does it pay me to change my system to a water heater
does water heating save me more money than steam boiler even if I change the boiler not to have a high efficient
boiler

can I use high efficient boiler if i have one floor floor - heating and one floor I have radiator
I understand that the radiator need 180 degree to run all the time
I appreciate your response

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Changing from steam to hot water is a lot more complex than just changing a boiler -- and costs a lot more. Don't even think about it. And especially, don't think about using a water heater. A water heater is just that -- for hot water for domestic use. A boiler is intended for heating. They are not interchangeable.

Therefore...

As I understand your message, you have a floor which has steam heat and a steam gas boiler which is not working. The first question I'd ask is -- what is the matter with it? Steam gas boilers are pretty darn simple. Now if you get someone out and it really is dead, then you need to replace it with a steam gas boiler -- but do yourself a favour. Find someone who knows steam heat to size and install the boiler.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Soo you have two floors with water based heating, and one floor with steam heat?
  • ruthgoldson
    ruthgoldson Member Posts: 4
    My house has 2 floor and a basement
    I changed the floor in my house only on the first floor
    when I change the floor I put the piping in the floor but I never activated it
    so all my house was running still on steam boiler
    now my steam boiler is dying
    so I need to replace it
    i need to choose between taking the lost that I put infloor pipes
    on the first floor and just replace the steam boiler
    or change the boiler to boiler who runs on water
    I need to know if it will cost me less money to run a boiler that runs on water
    also if i can do it when one floor has pipes in the floor and the other will have radiator
    and if I can use the High efficient boiler in this case

• Gordy
    If the entire structure can be heated by the present steam system I would replace the boiler as steam, and keep the steam system.

The floor with radiant can be piped off a steam boiler if you wish, or need to use that for heating the area with the radiant.
  • ruthgoldson
    are you telling me that the floor piping can work with steam like the radiortor?
  • ruthgoldson
    also I was told that I am saving money by going to a water heater?
  • Gordy
    Did you read the link? You will need a mixing valve to temper the water to the radiant.
  • Gordy
    Essentially you are taking water from below the water line on a steam boiler. Pumping it through a heat exchanger. Then on the other side of the heat exchanger you are fitting it with all the components needed for a hot water based system. Circulator, expansion tank, air removal, and in your case a mixing valve for the radiant floor. Think of the heat exchanger as the boiler for the hot water side.
  • Gordy
    You are saving your steam based system, and adding your radiant by just replacing the steam boiler, and the necessary parts for doing the radiant side.

You could actually build the radiant side a little at a time as you can afford to purchase the components for it. Then when done hook it up to the boiler.

Also converting steam rads to water reduces their output because lower temp water is used. This may end up coming up short in heating rooms from the reduced output.
  • Gordy
    Ruth, are you able to post pictures of your present boiler? Couple angles showing the piping etc.