Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator valve leaks

Options
ksd99
ksd99 Member Posts: 77
When I increase the heat, I have 1 radiator that spits a bit above packing nut , can I reseal it?
New owner of 1 Pipe Steam Boiler - learning all I can- no real steam pro in S.W. Michigan - if you know of 1 -let me know.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,404
    Options
    Yes, easily. You could first try just tightening the packing nut a little. Sometimes that's all that's needed. If not, back the packing nut off all the way, clean the old packing out, put in new and reinstall.

While you're at it, wander down to the basement and check your cutin and cutout pressures. For a "normal" one pipe or two pipe system in a home, the cutout should not be more than 1.7 psi and the cutin around 0.7.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ksd99
    Options
    Thanks Jamie. My pressuretol is1.5
    New owner of 1 Pipe Steam Boiler - learning all I can- no real steam pro in S.W. Michigan - if you know of 1 -let me know.
  • ksd99
    Options
    Can I use plumbers tape ?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,404
    Options
    ksd99 said:

Can I use plumbers tape ?

No need for it -- it's for sealing threads, not for packing. But even the big box stores have usable packing thread... The packing seals the shaft of the valve to the valve body; the threads of the packing nut aren't part of the seal at all.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England