Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam boiler anode

Paul_87
Paul_87 Member Posts: 37
I have been noticing a lot of premature steam boiler failures in a particular city that has issues with water quality. They are for the most part the same manufacturer but I don’t know if that’s because it is a very popular manufacturer amongst contractors in the area or if it is happening with many different manufacturers. I spoke to the manufacturer and asked them how to prevent this and they told me to install an anode rod. Has anyone ever done this? It’s the first time I’ve heard of it but it made sense. If it wotks on a water heater it should also work in a boiler I would think.
CLambSeanBeans

Comments

• Paul_87
    Paul_87 Member Posts: 37
    I got the anode rod today. It doesn’t look any different than a water heater anode rod. I wonder if I could buy a water heater anode and use that. It would be a lot cheaper
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I think it was in one of Dan's books where I read sometimes they would install a small water heater to feed the steam boiler.
    Let the cheap water heater cook off the water and take the hit.
    steve
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194

I think it was in one of Dan's books where I read sometimes they would install a small water heater to feed the steam boiler.
    Let the cheap water heater cook off the water and take the hit.

that’s actually a great idea. A little 3 gallon electric would probably work.

I wonder if a little RO system would work too? a slow 0.1gpm feed rate is plenty on a closed system.

Other solution is some sort of water treatment.

• RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
    @Paul_87 I tried that a few years ago and inserted an anode inside a boiler feed tank.I still had issues with the nipples on the boiler leaking on the boiler. I was thinking I could have installed it as a sidearm connected directly to the boiler. I had a boiler develop a leak after only a few years and had the tube inspected and it was found the water had high levels of chlorine. Hope these help
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons