Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Payne furnace burner cover

Hi, new to forum and need help finding a part. I have a payne furnace model# pg9maa036060. Last night I noticed a hole burned through the housing or enclosure where the burners burn... the flame switch would shut the unit off, thank God. My question is
1. What is the cover/enclosed called
2. Can it be purchased/replaced
I have had no luck with online searches.
I have attached pics of the assembly in question. The hole is on the right side, I have a piece of metal covering the hole with a perimeter of flame stop caulk around the hole. The unit will run fine now, but I would like to replace the cover/housing if possible. Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Oy. If the flame burned through the metal, it was impinging and that is very not good. I can't possibly recommend just replacing that part -- even if I knew where to find one -- without checking and overhauling and adjusting the whole thing.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    STEVEusaPA
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    There should be very little heat inside that box. You need your heat exchanger inspected immediately. 98% chance that you have a failed heat exchanger.
    D
    Dan Foley
  • It would be best to call an experienced contractor who is familiar with this furnace design for proper diagnosis. Burner box would not be the focus of what to replace . 99% failed H/E.
  • Truckinlower
    Truckinlower Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys. I disassembled and it looks like the burner tubes are shot. Such an old unit it dosent seem like there are replacement parts for the complete assembly. It has three burners, they are rusted and not in good shape. Those are available to order (manufacture# 318172-701). I guess the question is, are those what's causing the burn out? will replacing them cure the problem and keep the housing from getting so hot? The limit switch and igniter work fine. I will add a photo of the assembly. Thanks agin!!
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    It's time for a new furnace, H/E caused that not the burners. Your indoor air is blowing into the H/E and pushing the burner flames out the sides.
    D
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    That scorch on the left side (as you look at it) is about to burn thru.
    steve
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Do not run that furnace. Shut off the gas and emergency switch.
    That's sealed combustion so no way should there be any back pressure. And that didn't just happen. That's been going on for a while. 99% the heat exchanger is cracked. That equals carbon monoxide so time for a new furnace.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @Truckinlower

keep your family safe. don't take a chance