Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Connecting an Oil furnace to coal furnace

Options
Bones101
Bones101 Member Posts: 2
I have an existing Buderus oil fired hot water baseboard system in my house. I would like to pipe a Keystoker KA6 boiler in series with the existing system. I was hoping to find a diagram or pics of how it has been done. I’d like to keep the existing system when I will not be able to feed the coal system when I’m out of town etc. Any thoughts, info or pics would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Bones101
    Bones101 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't want the systems to run together. I want the coal to heat the water and the static oil to move it
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    You -- an the boilers -- will be much happier if you pipe them in parallel, each with their own circulating pump and valving, with the rest of the system piped primary/secondary in the usual way. There are several ways to control such a setup. It can be fully automatic, or you can have manual switchover.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • cutter
    cutter Member Posts: 292
    Options
    Bones101 said:

I don't want the systems to run together. I want the coal to heat the water and the static oil to move it

Bones that is not a good idea, Listen to Jamie Hall and steve