Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wall Radiator Banging - 1 Pipe Steam System

ksd99
ksd99 Member Posts: 77
I know I can balance a radiator that sits on the floor, but how can I do it when it is on the wall. Also attached to it is a Dole 1a, I don’t think that is working correctly either.

New owner of 1 Pipe Steam Boiler - learning all I can- no real steam pro in S.W. Michigan - if you know of 1 -let me know.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    It has to pitch downward toward the valve and the valve has to be FULLY open.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • ksd99
    Bob,
    The pitch is downward for entire length of the radiator. I forgot to mention it also makes gurgling noise
    New owner of 1 Pipe Steam Boiler - learning all I can- no real steam pro in S.W. Michigan - if you know of 1 -let me know.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    It could be the piping below it has settled to where it's not pitched and is holding water.

Also: what's your pressuretrol set at and have you cleaned its pigtail?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • ksd99
    Bob pressuretrol is set at 1.5, the pigtail was cleaned in the fall.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Has this recently started?
    The pitch of any radiator should be checked with an accurate level. The inlet valve must be fully open. Sometimes the valve disk can fall off the stem, and block the inlet. This can be checked by removing the bonnet of the valve, and looking inside.
    Look for anything which has changed at the time the water hammer started, such as a new boiler installation. If so, post pictures of the new boiler piping.—NBC