Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1/2" fintube?

Options
icy78
icy78 Member Posts: 404
I was at a house last week for low heat and I saw the baseboard loops all piped in 1/2"copper. Just wondering, was/is it common to use 1/2" fintube back ,say 50-60 years go? Or would that go to 3/4" at the fintube? Also the HO said that when they remodeled they removed a loop of bare copper from under the bathtub. I bet that was nice. Pretty highend back then?
The aquastat was set for 150 and it was -4 that morning and they were chilly. Set it at 185 and good so far.

What would the btu rating be on 1/2" fintube compared to 3/4?

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,949
    Options
    Was common on monoflo or venturi tee type sytsems back then.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Lower flow rate in smaller diameter fin tube, and shorter zones. They sometimes ran those smaller diameter fin tubes much hotter to get the output required.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • icy78
    Options
    hot rod_7 said:

Lower flow rate in smaller diameter fin tube, and shorter zones. They sometimes ran those smaller diameter fin tubes much hotter to get the output required.

I wondered about that.
    He said his old boiler kept up fine. He just sent me a text and said its still not as warm as before so I may just run it hotter for him. I've no idea what was installed before, or at what temperature.

• icy78
    Options
    I just found Peerless boilers ...The Color of Water.
    I see where the btu rating is almost identical for 1/2 versus 3/4" fintube. Appears the allowable length is less, which makes sense.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,839
    Options
    My house, built in '72, purchased in '02 had one zone split loop with all 1/2" baseboard, aluminum wiring, and R7 insulation.
    Immediate renovation/addition. All 3/4 now.
    Funny name too on the baseboard. Mini Might or something like that.
    icy78
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    Not much difference in the output of 1/2 or 3/4. Most supply house only carry 3/4 and it gets reduced to 1/2 inch pipe when installed

Some of the older books recommended 200-210 deg water. Things are different now. Lower water temp saves fuel.

I usually go with 190 limit with a 20 deg TD gives you a 180 average water temperature
    icy78