Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Skimming

Options
rhw1
rhw1 Member Posts: 32

After reading another post I think my boiler is foaming and losing water. I think it needs skimming. How is it done using the skim port in the picture attached? Is it crazy to do now while the weather is so cold? Please help Thanks.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Foaming won't cause water loss, it can cause surging which is water going into mains and sucking the boiler dry temporarily. With proper piping (you don't have) it usually isn't a big deal.

What are your symptoms? Also that boiler and piping looks familiar, have you posted under a different username in the past?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • rhw1
    rhw1 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Posted under almost same user name (rhw) but forgot password at current device location. Water is dripping down inside of sight glass. Now filling boiler up every other day. I have not filled boiler to top with water to see if it leaks but there is no leakage anywhere else in sytem. The house is heating nicely but if there is an upper crack in the boiler is immediate replacement necessary? All pipes are exposed, no leaks. Need to replace boiler, piping etc. in spring when thing are slighly less hectic for a plumber and I can get some funds together. Would like to get through winter with what I've got. I know I have been here before and properly warned. If you would, please help. If you think skimming is not the answer, understood and I will move on.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Skimming will do nothing for water loss. I'd either be looking for a leak in the system, or doing the overfill so I knew what was going on. If it passes the overfill test then you start looking for leaks in the system, they can be tricky to find sometimes. Steam is invisible.

If you feel it needs skimmed for other reasons that is a separate discussion from water loss.

When mine was leaking I managed to get through the winter without too much trouble, other than hearing the auto feeder on a daily basis. Either way as I stated I'd want to know now so I can plan more effectively and most importantly get in the schedule of one of the steam pros on here. I think we recommended @EzzyT or @Dave0176 before.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,296
    Options
    @rhw1 you can reach meet at 201-887-8856 and maybe we can set up an appointment.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856