Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old apartment radiator spitting water

Building built in 1921. A large complex. Main radiator is spitting so much water that it’s ruining my walls. Brooklyn apartment so the land lord is non responsive. All other radiators are fine. Wondering if I can fix this myself

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Is the shut off valve all the way open? It should be. The radiator's got to be able to drain.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    question
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Agree with JohnNY that the inlet valve should be completely open.
    The presence of a thermostatic vent leads me to believe that the radiator was over heating at some point, probably due to overpressure. Are the other radiators so equipped as well?—NBC
  • question
    question Member Posts: 30
    If the shut off is open all the way try putting some shims under the legs to have it drain better.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Is it the radiator valve (where the steam pipe comes in) or the radiator vent (shown enlarged in one of your pictures)? If it's the vent, you can also try a slower vent -- assuming the room heats OK with what you have now -- which can help sometimes. Particularly if the boiler pressure is too high -- which it probably is.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,589
    Wow guys, way to respond to a post 8 months too late. :p

Wonder what ever happened with @rude_burrito
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment