Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New central a/c installation including ductwork -- ballpark pricing

Hello-- I live in a 1600 square foot 3br/2BR house in New England on 2 floors. House built in the 1980s, with unfinished attic and unfinished basement, no ductwork, and no a/c. Looking for a central a/c solution (conventional or heat pump) including ductwork installation, and I'm not looking at any kind of wall mounted ductless system. Wondering what a fair ballpark installation cost would be. I know there are a million factors I'm not describing, and I am not asking for an exact dollar amount, but wondering *very roughly* what something like this could cost, based on very limited info I am providing--

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    And that, I'm sorry, is one thing which we simply don't do on the Wall. Pricing. There are way too many variables, not to mention many of us are pros and there would be questions about competition.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276

And that, I'm sorry, is one thing which we simply don't do on the Wall. Pricing. There are way too many variables, not to mention many of us are pros and there would be questions about competition.

Thanks, @Jamie Hall.

@AG1973, we cannot discuss pricing here. Thanks.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Just remember one thing

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    edited December 2018
    > @GBart said:
    > Just remember one thing
    >
    > YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

Sometimes.
    More often than not price can not be used to judge quality.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    SuperJ
  • GBart
    aye but I've seen jobs go for 1/2 of what others are bidding and the end result was garbage, didn't work and had to be redone, the customer DID NOT save any money

then there's overall efficiency of the system over the life of the unit, just because something is advertized as high efficiency doesn't mean it will be, the installation is important in achieving that as is
  • ChrisJ
    edited January 2019
    Eh.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Pictures and referrals tell the story of quality.
    Steve Minnich
    ChrisJ
  • GBart
    ChrisJ said:

Eh.

Eh?

you don't think the quality of the installation has anything to do with system efficiency or life expectancy??

you're in the wrong trade
  • ChrisJ
    edited January 2019
    GBart said:

ChrisJ said:

Eh.

Eh?

you don't think the quality of the installation has anything to do with system efficiency or life expectancy??

you're in the wrong trade
    I know the quality of the installation is the most important part of the system.
    I don't think price necessarily reflects that.

How do you know what trade I'm in?
  • GBart
    If you're not in this trade you shouldn't be posting or advising people here
  • ChrisJ
    GBart said:

If you're not in this trade you shouldn't be posting or advising people here

@Erin Holohan Haskell Is this correct?

• Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    All are welcome here. Let's get this thread back on track, guys. Thanks.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    ChrisJ