Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

KenTr Unions in tank fill & vent piping

KenTr
KenTr Member Posts: 1
I am thinking of replacing my 275 oil tank in my basement. Its is 40 years old and stating to look a little shaky at the bottom, I am thinking off cutting the fill and vent pipe in the basement to remove the tank. I would then install a pipe union at the cut point to install new tank. I am not sure this is permitted by code. I am trying to avoid removing all the piping to the outside. It is a lot of digging and the ground is frozen. I live in SE Pennsylvania ( Avondale). Input would be appreciated

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    Check with your oil company and your authority having jurisdiction -- building inspector or fire marshall or both -- as requirements vary.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    There is no reason not to use unions you can certainly do that.

One note of CAUTION Make sure fill pipe is capped off tight on the outside of the building and put a note on it not to fill tank. You don't need the driver showing up while your tank is disconnected
    kcopp
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Correct installation is extremely important, most people just chuck them in, the vent has to be higher than the fill, the fill should be on the opposite end from the filter and the filter outlet should be the low point so that you can flush any water and contaminants out.