Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler overfeeding, new Hydrolevel VXT120

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,691
our new install we did 2 weeks go is overfilling (WM SGO-4). I called Hydrolevel and they don't have a 'too high' of a water pressure indicated and they think it's condensate, told me to move the switch to 8 minutes (I find that hard to accept). No underground returns, not a big system (450 sq ft). I super hate not knowing if we should replace the feeder or not, my gut tells me is a bad feeder or possibly high water pressure (but no pressure limits are indicated in the install manual)

We had one lame Hydrolvel VXT a few years ago, swapped it and it was all set.

Thanks for any tips, kinda want to nail this one with one trip if possible
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    Gary is the feeder being fed with cold or hot water?
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • GW
    it's cold water
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    When I do install auto feeders I set them for the longest delay which is 10 minutes.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • GW
    OK then we will go and move the dip. I've never had any issues with 2 minutes all these years, so maybe i overthought this. I'll report back in a day or two, Thanks EzzyT
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Don’t rule out that the boiler needs skimming. If it’s surging it can trick the LWC.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    ^What everyone said, Gary -- plus what is the feed pressure? It should be avle to hold against it, but if it's really high...

Also, how much is it set to feed for per activation?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • GW
    thanks, it's at 1 gallon. It definitely doesn't over feed when we are watching it. It takes two 1/2 days to over fill and trip the pressuretrol open

I don't know the water pressure- didn't know i needed to check it, but now it seems like we need to know. Hydrolevel doesn't think it's pressure but i'm unsure if that's accurate or not (i'm guessing high pressure can push through the valve.

It is a #67 so maybe that's playing with it as Ryan mentioned.

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Jamie Hall
    Cheer up, @GW -- I've been having the same kind of trouble with a 67 arguing with a VXT. If you figure out what's going on, let me know...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • GW
    OK news flash my service guy stopped by, found the water pressure at/over 100 psi---we need to return tomorrow and see if the 8 minute timer helps and also stick a 200# gg on and see what the pressure is doing exactly (yes the pressure is even higher at wee hours of the morning)
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Jamie Hall
    Over 100 psi? Holy smoke... it's a wonder nothing else leaks!
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • GW
    yes over 100 isn't terribly uncommon. I told the property guy to get his plumber involved (I'm a retired plumber- lost my interest- only plumb when i have to LOL)
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I would put a prv on that but probably need an expansion tank inbetween