Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Heating pipe size.

Options
bluedevil30
bluedevil30 Member Posts: 5
edited January 2019 in Strictly Steam
My mother lives in the Boston area and has gas boiler, steam radiators.

Recently, she had a steam expert replace a leaking radiator fitting. The cost was very reasonable as every other plumber wanted to replace the radiator for way more.

When the steam repair guy was there he said her steam supply pipes were too narrow and would upgrade to larger diameter pipes for a reasonable cost.

Assuming this guy is truthful, how much efficiency is gained with this modification? Heat portion of her gas bill is about $ per year.

Thanks,

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    Probably very little -- and it's unlikely they really are too small. But if you want a thoroughly honest evaluation, get in touch with @New England SteamWorks .
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • bluedevil30
    Options
    New England Steam told her the pipes were small. She waited 3 months for them to come but it was worth the cost savings.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    If New England Steam Works told her the pipes were too small, then trust, they are too small!
  • bluedevil30
    Options
    Her small apartment (1200 SF) heats fine, this is about saving money. She has all double pane windows but it's a 100 year old leaky house.

If the payback was less than 4 years it might be worth the cost.
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I believe I told her that her main vents were too small...

And her returns are tied together above the waterline.

And to be fair, she only waited 10 weeks...
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    bluedevil30
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options

I believe I told her that her main vents were too small...

That's a huge difference versus what the OP is saying. If the mains are under vented it's all a question of burner on time savings. If better vents shave 1 minute (or more) off of the steam supply time, then that's 1 minute of fuels savings every time the boiler fires. Then it's just math.

We can not say how much will be saved without timing the mains and comparing.

To the OP, we do not discuss pricing here so it is appreciated if you remove that from your original post.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • bluedevil30
    Options
    You guys are the best!!!
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited January 2019
    Options
    You and your mother have to make the final decision but, it is not only just about payback, it's also about comfort, for your mother and the way the system runs while providing that comfort. If the pipes are small enough, it is possible condensate can't return while steam travels to the radiators, it's about having a quiet system, where the radiators aren't spitting water, because the radiators are filling with water, during the heating cycle as a result of pipes that are too small.

Whatever you decide, if New England Steam Works told you something would help fix an issue. You can take that to the bank.
  • bluedevil30
    Options
    I fixed my post. I'm a rookie just looking out for Mom. I have nothing but great regards for the company that did the work for my mother. I appreciate the prompt responses!!
    KC_Jones