Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Brewery Low Pressure Steam System

Looking for pros/cons in using Copper with Propress XL fittings for a low pressure steam header in brewery. Appreciate any/all input
Thanks

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Copper-----------NO

Pro Press---------YES
  • shawn823
    shawn823 Member Posts: 5
    any particular reason for not using copper outside of cost?
  • Koan
    Koan Member Posts: 439
    my understanding is that copper expands and contacts more than steel, copper pipe is not as strong as steel, and that soldered copper joints are more likely to fail under steam than threaded steel joints due to the higher stress of thermal expansion and lower strength. I believe conventional wisdom is to pipe steam with steel pipe above the wet returns. I have never heard of ProPress for a steel steam system, but again my understanding is that threaded steel joints are the accepted norm for steam.
    shawn8231Matthias
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    What size boiler is this? I thought those fittings only went up to 2", even if you did use it the 2" would limit the boiler size you could use it on and still do proper piping.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
    @shawn823 I would be hesitant using copper for a low pressure steam boiler especially for a brewey boiler for a few reasons. Just like @Koan said, copper expands roughly 40% more than steel. Think of it like bending a paperclip back and forth. To make matters worse, a brewery boiler does not operate contunuosly so the heat and cooling cycle will be greater. More paperclip bending. The other concern is copper loses heat much faster than steel so that would condense the steam and lower your effieciency and effectiveness of the steam
    Hope that helps
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    shawn823
  • kevinj_4
    kevinj_4 Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2019
    KC_Jones said:

What size boiler is this? I thought those fittings only went up to 2", even if you did use it the 2" would limit the boiler size you could use it on and still do proper piping.

They have mega press from 2.5 thru 4, not sure if the bigger stuff is steam rated.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    kevinj_4 said:

KC_Jones said:

They have mega press from 2.5 thru 4, not sure if the bigger stuff is steam rated.
    The OP specifically asks about copper, the mega press isn't copper unless I am misreading their catalog.

Rereading the OP, I think they are confused. They are asking about using copper with the fittings made for steel pipe, at least reading it exactly as written. Pretty sure the manufacturer won't allow that.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • shawn823
    Was considering Propress XL which is rated for Low Pressure Steam. Copper Pipe with copper fittings, header coming off boiler will be 3". Was only considering doing the header in copper as I have no access to a welder and did not want to T & C 3" pipe. based on comments I'm quickly moving away from copper. Thanks to all for the insight
  • kevinj_4
    kevinj_4 Member Posts: 91
    Propress only goes to 2" as I recall so you better check what the codes allow in your area for the piping.

It might be best to hire the headers done by a pro.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Was just reading on U tube of some failures in Ridgids "pressure booster system" which is used for 2 1/2"-4" mega press system
  • shawn823
    Thanks for all your insights, suggestions and sharing your knowledge. I have decided to use welded carbon steel pipe, keeping with a old school proven method.