Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler Leaking

Boilermlw
Boilermlw Member Posts: 4
New boiler installed and next day we notice a leak coming from bottom of boiler. Called installer and he is not sure where the leak is coming from and called the supplier to come out and take a look. My question is if its the worse case scenerio, could the new boiler be cracked?

Comments

• GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    He's not sure where the leak is coming from? It's either coming from a fitting or the block.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Was this a packaged boiler (pre-assembled) or a knocked down (came in sections)?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Boilermlw
    pre-assembled
  • Ironman
    edited December 2018
    It’s extremely doubtful that it’s cracked. And since blocks are pressure tested at the factory, it’s doubtful, but not impossible, that the block is leaking.

Is the steam or hot water? What make and model?

Pics would help.
    Bob Boan
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Couple of screws removed on most jackets can let you peek around to find the leak.
    Like @Ironman said-make/model, pics.
    steve
  • Boilermlw
    Hotwater! Pure Pro trio!
  • aceboiler
    aceboiler Member Posts: 14
    I put a packaged hot water Weil McLain in a brewery. Boiler leaked right out of the bottom day one . It was a slow drip. I called the rep. and sent pictures. He said to get the wholesaler 1,700 hundred and pay shipping back to factory.
    They would send a new boiler out. If it seemed to be a warranty issue they would credit it back to me.
    The brewery could not shut down right away and after two weeks it quit leaking. That was seven years ago. It was a gasket..... Owner paid me for the job too!!!!
    Whats the pressure in it?
  • Ironman
    edited December 2018
    I believe that boiler is made with a Buuderus g20 cast iron block. Is the best in the world. Never seen one leak.

You could have a pipe or fitting leaking where it's threaded into the block. Or you could have flue gas condensation if the boiler is not vented or setup correctly.
    Bob Boan
    kcoppdelta T
  • Boilermlw
    Last Boiler had some condesation stains on flue, tha could be the problem. He has been paid I am hoping he comes back to solve this problem. Getting frustrated.
  • Jellis
    Jellis Member Posts: 228
    If the contractor who installed is not coming back. Say to him "I understand your busy, do you think the code enforcement officer would be able to help me?"
    That should get his attention, a new boiler that is leaking is simply not acceptable.
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    edited December 2018
    Boilermlw said:

New boiler installed and next day we notice a leak coming from bottom of boiler. Called installer and he is not sure where the leak is coming from and called the supplier to come out and take a look.

What a load...

There's a 95% chance that the leak is from a fitting installed during installation. Given that, the guy should be embarrassed to have the rep come out without first taking a look himself.

Bad omens all around...
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    SeanBeans
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    All the above is true but I am extreamly doubtful of "factory testing" I have seen way too many cases where no testing is done