Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water Loop - Boiler Warranty

HeatNewb
HeatNewb Member Posts: 2
Hi all,

My first floor has steam radiators, and second floor has no legitimate heat system.

Considering a hot water loop off our steam boiler and running baseboard to the 2nd floor.

Our plumber said the issue with this is that when we need to replace the boiler, the warranty will be void because of the hot water loop.

Is this true, even if it's a closed loop?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I can't think of any reason this would void a warranty, did they show you in the warranty information that it would void the warranty?

Sounds like someone doesn't want to hook up the hot water loop and looking for any reason they can not to do it.

Are you working with a steam expert? Where are you located?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • HeatNewb
    HeatNewb Member Posts: 2
    > @KC_Jones said:
    > I can't think of any reason this would void a warranty, did they show you in the warranty information that it would void the warranty?
    >
    > Sounds like someone doesn't want to hook up the hot water loop and looking for any reason they can not to do it.
    >
    > Are you working with a steam expert? Where are you located?

Seems like if he doesn't have a problem with doing the hot water loop, but we were discussing the idea of a hot water loop for just the 2nd floor being baseboard, vs converting the whole house to baseboard (which is obviously more expensive). He claimed that when the boiler one day needs to be replaced that we'd be spending more in the long run by then converting to baseboard. I asked him why not just replace the boiler and keep steam downstairs and baseboard upstairs with the loop, and that was the reason he gave, that it would void the boiler warranty.

I'm in northern NJ, if you have any good names to pass my way.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    @EzzyT @Dave0176 are both in NJ and both top notch with steam.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    HeatNewbdelta T
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    @HeatNewb you can private message me or you can reach me at 201-887-8856 or etravismechanical@gmail.com
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856