Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can Someone Tell Gas Co. that 15 Degree Night Heat Setback & 120º Stored DHW Is Not a Good Idea?

D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,849
edited December 2018 in Gas Heating
This came in my email box today:

And that lowering you domestic hot water to 120 won't necessarily save you money; it will give you less capacity and not kill the Legionnaire's bacteria. And are the gas companies really interested in saving us money? They are pushing all the new mod-con boilers which are even less geared for big setbacks than the old bang-bang boilers...
SuperTech

Comments

• D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,849
    Correct; they may have to turn on the AC to get that setback...
    GordyNY_Robflat_twindelta T
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    In all defense it does say “try” :)
    D107KC_JonesCanuckerSuperTech
  • Gordy
    I’m assuming the “stay cozy” part means grab a blanket, or light a fire with your special other while you enjoy your savings :D
    D107
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    The average customer would save far more by having a properly sized and commissioned heat system that is regularly maintained. How many of those do you see?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    CanuckerDZoroSuperTechdelta T
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    > @Gordy said:
    > Lol. If your houses losses 10-15 degrees in 8 hours there is bigger issues like closing the front door........

Or finally getting around to putting the glass into your windows on your tent
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
    GordyNY_Rob
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Nice! Sign up fast! Let your electricity supplier install a thermostat where they can control your system, like turning up the AC during peak demand, and they'll give you a slightly lower rate.
    Then when you have a problem with the thermostat, THEY have to come out and fix it. And they aren't coming out very quickly at all. This is an 'upgrade' from the box they put outside on your AC unit.
    I've run into this a couple of times. No A/C, only to find the thermostat is 'working it's magic'. Haven't seen it on the heating side yet, but who knows.
    Remember Jimmy Carter? Besides dropping the ball on the metric system, didn't he advocate turning down the thermostat to 62° and put on a sweater? I'd be divorced.
    steve
    DZoroSuperTech
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited December 2018
    Zman said:

The average customer would save far more by having a properly sized and commissioned heat system that is regularly maintained. How many of those do you see?

At least they mentioned savings by updating your equipment. They used to help subsidize.

A better ad would be...
    "Please turn down your thermostat 10-15° during peak demand. Despite our lobbing efforts, we can't get the government to pay for infrastructure updates that we've ignored by pocketing the money. Therefore we just don't have the capacity to supply everyone.
    This is why we switch all our uninterruptibles (schools, factories, hospitals, large commercial buildings, etc) over to heating oil when it gets very cold, driving the price of heating oil up when consumers need it most :). But on the bright side, this makes more people unhappy with heating oil and want to switch over to natural gas.
    It's hurting our bottom line. Please help us.
    Merry Christmas.
    PS. As the CEO, none of our executives pay for natural gas, and we must keep our homes warm, so please, turn your thermostat down"

~~Ok, snarky rant over.~~
    steve
    D107SuperTech
  • Gordy
    Yup and Jimmy dropped the speed limit to 55 also I believe.
  • Gordy
    edited December 2018
    I’ve dealt with the metric system which I had no problem with. The problem was getting manufacturers, and suppliers on board when only IDOT uses the system, and no one else. Lasted about 2-3 years I believe.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Once the mass is warm, it takes little heat to keep it warm. In my house, I have no more any setback. It is forced air but my 5 year average is less than setback. We have the same for large churches. BTW anything under 140F in a hot water tank is DANGEROUS!
  • Gordy
    I’ll disagree @Henry. Heat loss is driven by delta t. The larger that delta the larger the heat loss, or gain.

Now I will agree that the savings verses comfort of doing setback regiments daily is a bit of a vicious circle. With out much to be saved unless you can lose a significant amount of temperature in a short period of time.

If that is the case, envelope upgrades will get you farther ahead of the game than setbacks, and more comfort.