Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wood stove

Will82
Will82 Member Posts: 41
Looking at purchasing a new woodstove Blaze King Sirocco 25. Have a couple questions. Is this a good stove? I was also wondering about my chimney height right now I have a 6 inch stainless steel pipe 15 ft. Do not know if this would cause a problem for the stove to to burn on low.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    I know very little about wood stoves and am primarily commenting so I'll learn from others.

But my understand was you have an air damper to control your air going in and you can use the damper in the pipe to control your draft if the pipe is pulling too hard.

I've also seen some install a barometric on wood stoves to help with to strong of a draft with a 1970s Fisher Bear series.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    The most important part is to follow the installation instructions.
    Pay particular attention to the flue height in relation to the space, combustion air and clearances to combustibles.

Wood stoves chimney fires are very common. Routinely burning the unit hot and cleaning will help mitigate.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    > @Zman said:
    > The most important part is to follow the installation instructions.
    > Pay particular attention to the flue height in relation to the space, combustion air and clearances to combustibles.
    >
    > Wood stoves chimney fires are very common. Routinely burning the unit hot and cleaning will help mitigate.

I seem to recall a rule about burning the fire hot to get the pipe hot before burning low. Is that correct?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Burning hot first was the rule in my house growing up. We never had an issue with fire. Not sure what others do.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    A good woodburner chat room at www.hearth.com
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    GrallertSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I would comment, but I have no experience with that stove. I am primarily a wood/pellet boiler guy.

When you say you have a 6" stainless chimney, I assume you mean a class A (commonly referred to as metalbestos) is it on the interior or exterior of your house?

Have any pics?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    I would reference the installation manual before buying. I’m quite sure the manufacturer should have all the installation specs.
    They don’t want their product not performing, or burning someone’s house to the ground.
    Solid_Fuel_Man