Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

short term overhead oil supply line

jozi
jozi Member Posts: 2
edited November 2018 in Oil Heating
Hello. I have an existing oil heat system with an interior tank where the 3/8 supply line is roughly a 30' run. The line runs at ground level ,partially exposed and partially under concrete. The basement will be having a perimeter floor drain system installed and the line will be in harms way during process. I am aware of some of the pitfalls of an overhead line, but was hoping to possibly run a line overhead for 2-3 days until the bulk of the work is done & then drop it back down to the floor. If run overhead it would be about a 7 foot rise. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Joe.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    As long as all connections are tight it should be good.
    A vacuum power bleed will help.
    Running new oil line along the floor when finished?
    Coated oil line sleeved through 3/4 flexable conduit (seal tight).
    jozi
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Some love overhead oil lines, I am not one of them.

That being said all connections need to be tight and it will work fine.

It may be a little struggle getting it primed, after that it will be ok.

I would make the job gravity feed when your floor is fixed
    Boiler Talk
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    If you can keep it lower that would be better. If your system is residential the fuel unit is likely single stage / single pipe and that should not exceed 6” of vacuum the rise you are referring to would exceed that. It’s 1” of vacuum for every 1 foot of lift. And that does not even take in account for any filter and fittings, which would also be 1”
    Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
    jozi
  • jozi
    jozi Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Alan, I've decided this is probably a job for a professional. I am extremely confident in my mechanical ability, but have just enough knowledge to get myself in trouble.