Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus 2107 - DHW production outside of weekly program parameters?

Options
We have a Buderus boiler with a 2107 controller. I created a custom program that serves our needs well during a "normal" work week. During the week the boiler begins to bring the house up to 72°F at 3:30 a.m. (we get up at 5:00), drops back to 65°F at 7:00 a.m. when we leave for the day, and goes back to 72°F starting at 2:30 p.m., remaining there until 9:00 p.m. when we go to bed. This works great except when someone takes a sick day, has a day off during the week for some reason, works from home, etc... You don't want to know what a sick wife who took a cold shower at 11:00 a.m. has to say about it :o I read through the manual and found that I can program the system to produce DHW constantly, but just as it has to be manually enabled, it has to be manually disabled as well. Inevitably I will forget and the boiler will be wasting untold gallons of oil heating my indirect fired DHW tank for days and nights on end for showers that will never be taken. Is there a simpler way where I can initiate constant hot water for a set period, say 12 or 24 hours and then revert to the normal program?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I don't think that you will be wasting any energy by leaving the hot water heater on all the time. Depending on the brand, your tank probably has a standby loss of a degree an hour or so. Turning the tank off for 6 hours at time is not going to save you a dime. It probably wouldn't have fired while you where gone anyway.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Swamp_Yankee
    Swamp_Yankee Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Zman said:

I don't think that you will be wasting any energy by leaving the hot water heater on all the time. Depending on the brand, your tank probably has a standby loss of a degree an hour or so. Turning the tank off for 6 hours at time is not going to save you a dime. It probably wouldn't have fired while you where gone anyway.

I just assumed that since Buderus structures the programs to shut DHW production down anytime the temperature drops back to "away" or "night," that there would be a savings associated with it. I suppose I can enable constant DHW production and see if I notice a difference. The brand escapes me but its a 53 gallon tank.