Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main Vent Help

Options
TAC77
TAC77 Member Posts: 12
Hello,

I've been fidgeting with my steam heat system since I bought my house almost 3 years ago. I recently decided to get a repair man to finish off the rest of the job but after his initial visit I've sent him 3 messages and still haven't received a itemized estimate from him. Because it's starting to get cold (and I want my system to be working correctly) I've decided to see if I can do some of his suggestions myself.

One thing he said was that my main vent was too small. He held his hand to the piping next to the vent and said it took about 10 minutes to warm up from a dead cold (this was the first time my heat had been turned on that season) and that it should take about 2-3 minutes. He suggested replacing my current main valve with a Gorton Size 1. However, when I checked the size of the main vent after he left, it already is Gorton Size 1. Should I size up to a size 2 or could this indicate another problem?

Thank you.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    If he suggested replacing it with a Gorton #1 and it already is a Gorton #1, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence, does it?

How long and what diameter is that main? With that information, we can suggest what should be there instead...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England