Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stadler Pex Problem

Options
HomerJSmith
HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
The house is being remodeled. It has infloor heating circa 1995. The manifolds and tubing are Stadler which was bought out by Viega. Removing the carpeting and tack strips, a nail was discovered puncturing a pex tube, also the plumber ruptured a tube moving a water closet flange. A repair has to be made and the repair covered with gyp-crete. The question is how is it to be made.

I can't read the markings on the tube as they are smeared and missing. It is clear Stadler tube with o2 barrier with 5 orange stripes running the length of the tube. The OD of the tube is .569 and the ID is .390. The tube is electrically cross-linked which should make it a class C tube, but it act like a class A tube as far as expandability goes. I think that class C tube is not expandable with it's fittings? I can't find a union fitting that size. 3/8" is too small and 1/2" is too large for a class C tube.

What I am thinking is to use a Sharkbite 1/2" X 1/2" brass pex coupling, expand the tube to just barely insert the coupling, wait for the pex to shrink back and use stainless steel PEX pinch clamp crimp fittings (Oetiker Style). I would cover the connection with shrink tubing.

Do you guys have any good ideas, what do you think?

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    This was helpful last year...
    Thanks to Hot Rod.

https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/163934/stadler-pex-size
  • HomerJSmith
    edited October 2018
    Options
    kcopp, boy that was a fast reply. This is a little different than Hot Rod was discussing. I did have a problem a while back with In-Floor pex when I had to replace the in-floor plastic manifolds with Caleffi manifolds. The pex was the wrong size for the Caleffi adapters. There was a tolerance range for the Caleffi adapters which was out of range for the in-floor pex. I solved the problem by replacing the existing o-rings on the adapters with new EPDM o-rings of a size that would work.

It worked great. I guess I already said that earlier.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Take a closer look at this link:

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/editor/0d/7dyw2pk4erk7.jpg

Your tubing sounds metric, no?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Rich_49
  • HomerJSmith
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I would think that Stadler would be US measurements. The OD is 14.45mm and the ID is 9.90mm.

Those charts are about manifold adapters. I need information on pex couplings, one tube to another and what you think about using Sharkbite couplings to connect two tubes together and expanding the pex.

I don't want a leak under a hardwood floor. This is important.
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Options
    What I am thinking is to use a Sharkbite 1/2" X 1/2" brass pex coupling, expand the tube to just barely insert the coupling, wait for the pex to shrink back and use stainless steel PEX pinch clamp crimp fittings (Oetiker Style). I would cover the connection with shrink tubing.

Am a neophyte, buut why not take the coupling to a machine shop and ask them to turn it down to fit the pex. The clamp fittings should hold even on a smooth fitting.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    The Caleffi universal pex fittings have a 2mm OD tolerance range, .5 mm ID

1/2" pex is 5/8 OD .625 or 15.8 mm
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream