Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1960s American Standard Boiler issue

Options
Jaykhjr
Jaykhjr Member Posts: 10
Hey all, I recently bought a home with an old AS boiler. The house has 6 radiators and the boiler is pretty well oversized. (210k btu in, 165 btu out)

When bleeding the radiators, I cant seem to get all the air out. I bleed the bottom floor, then the top, but i can bleed the radiator in the front bedroom, then go to the next room, bleed that one, just to find more air in the front room again. No known leaks in the system. And, from what I know, the water supply to the boiler is always on.

There is a 12psi regulator in line, that is old, as is the pump, but I know water makes it to those radiators, so I'm guessing they are working.

Do I need to somehow add water to the system? Or look for a different problem/solution ?

Thanks!

Comments

• DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Pump, gas line and boiler all are in tough shape. What do you have for a air tank/pressure tank? Have you drained the tank if that is what you have, given the age I'm just assuming tank in the floor joists? Does the pressure gauge still work? Does the pump work, may have to clean it out or replace?
    Jaykhjr
  • Jaykhjr
    Options
    DZoro said:

Pump, gas line and boiler all are in tough shape. What do you have for a air tank/pressure tank? Have you drained the tank if that is what you have, given the age I'm just assuming tank in the floor joists? Does the pressure gauge still work? Does the pump work, may have to clean it out or replace?

My house has 2 levels of basements, the boiler is on the lower most level. There is a tall, thin tank in the upper basement about 6' above it.

I just want to get through this year with this boiler. I put a roof on the place this summer and next summer I plan to replace this thing. I just want to get one more winter out of it.

• Jaykhjr
    Options
    DZoro said:

I'll check on the pressure gauge, I have never done anything but brush some dirt/slag off of the burners before I fired it up this year. Last year the radiators all bled fine and, despite a huge gas bill, the house was more than warm enough.