Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vent pipe on Steam condensate tank

Options
bean
bean Member Posts: 34
edited October 2018 in Strictly Steam
Can anyone explain to me the WHY & WHERE when it comes to the termination of the vent pipe off the top of the Steam condensate tank? Your help is greatly appreciated!!Also , what I mean to say is that I have seen these lines taken up to a certain height & goosenecked! Why?

Comments

• Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    Options
    All of that information should be in the manual. A condensate tank/feedwater unit is not designed to be pressurized. The vent ensures that the tank does not see pressure. The vent is also where the air in the steam system leaves.

B&G says pipe vent to atmosphere. Do not restrict size of vent. And no more than 20 feet vertical unless an overflow is provided.
    Never stop learning.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    To which I might add -- if you ever have the misfortune to have a failed trap elsewhere on the system, you are going to have steam coming out of that vent. So it should terminate somewhere where that isn't going to be a hazard.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    New England SteamWorks
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Jamie is absolutely correct.

We had an apartment building that had A LOT of bad traps. Their solution, instead of fixing the traps, was to just run the vent line outside so it would stop steaming up the boiler room. Well, they had a large 3-phase disconnect for the boilers outside as well. And they terminated the vent line directly underneath it. Ended up shooting steam into it and judging by what it looked like afterwards, it was quite the arc.
    Never stop learning.
    New England SteamWorksdelta TCLamb
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    @Mike_Sheppard saw one like that about 6 months ago, less the 3 phase disconnect, but it did cause a huge ice patch on the north side of the building that purportedly did not melt until sometime in May.

I might add, that I always will terminate the vent with a bare pipe (no threads) so that future knucklheads cannot easily put a cap or a valve on to 'fix' the leak. Pressurized condensate receivers can be scary things....
    CLamb
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options

Could this one have been passing steam??
  • JUGHNE
    Options

But wait! there is more!!
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 655
    Options
    I was told the reason for the elevation of the pressure vent pipe was that in the event of power failure, the system would gravity flood to the level of the boiler line, and then recirculate.

I assume this concept originated in the days of coal fired boilers.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • Sdress27
    Sdress27 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    The vents have check valves on them correct? So that air is not allowed to come back into the system only steam and air out?
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Never have seen any check valves on those vent pipes for cond pumps or feeder pumps.

Vacuum pumps may be a different animal.

Someone here familiar with vacuum systems should have some input.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    On a normal steam system there is no check valve on a condensate tank or boiler feed tank. On a vacuum system the vacuum pump may be part of the boiler feed tank (usually that is the case) and they would have a vent on the discharge side of the vac pump
  • Sdress27
    Sdress27 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    I was referring to a vacuum system and that makes sense because they are at the end of the return line but what about condensate receiver tanks upstream like when a building has multiple air handlers and is a vacuum system and the condensate pumps/receiver tanks after each air handler do those vents have check valves? Someone was explaining to me they do have check valves on the vent or the vent is piped to the condensate return line. Thanks