Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant heater for residential garage

td3201
td3201 Member Posts: 8
Hello,

I'm looking for help in choosing the right heater and mounting location for a garage. I have attached an image of what it looks like with dimensions. It's a 3-car garage. The left side is used for a shop and the right has 1-2 cars. The top of the image is the entrance to the house.

I've had a forced air hot dawg heater before that worked well but didn't like how loud it was or how it lost all heat when the garage door was opened and immediately closed. That's why I'm looking into radiant heaters.

I'd prefer not to have to vent it. I'm strongly considering Mr. Heater MH40NG:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_20858_20858

I'm considering mounting this kind of in between the "shop" and the double car side about 4 ft from the back wall (by the house). I've marked this on the attached image with yellow.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
TD

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I would not put a ventless heater in any house or attached structure.
    The heater you are considering has very limiting clearances to combustables, 34" top, 30" side/back and 68" to floor.

Radiant is a great idea. Just get a vented one and check all the clearances.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    td32011Matthias
  • td3201
    edited October 2018
    I appreciate the comment. I forgot to mention I have 11' ceilings and I would mount this at 34". This would give me 98" to something. The closest thing would be a car hood and it's not close.

Why not ventless? I'm new here.

Edit:
    I'm not in love with this heater. I can easily run a vent up through the attic and out the side of the garage. I just really like the idea of the radiant heater based on my original post. Other than that, I'm open!
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    A ventless unit is dumping the combustion byproducts into the space. I can't see how that could be a good idea. They are not allowed in some some areas, check with local codes
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    td3201Rich_49
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,890
    And also, heaters of the ventless variety are a humidity factory. The windows will be frosty and the walls dripping. Please get a vented unit, for safety and comfort. Those ventless ones are for corn cribs and patio heaters IMO
    1Matthiasdelta TRich_49
  • td3201
    I appreciate the nudges. I'll find myself a vented one. Can anyone recommend one for my installation location and size of garage? I'm in Nebraska for an idea on climate. It will get below zero here easily.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    just for parking cars? Radiant heaters are line of sight. Warm and comfortable when you are underneath them, not ideal if you want even heat across the space.

A unit heater with a squirrel cage type fan is much quieter, similar to a home furnace. Modine and others offer them
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    A ductless heatpump system could work too.
    And A/C in the summer.
    PhilJay
  • hot_rod
    Rinnai has a small direct vent wall heater, around 20,000, maybe
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • td3201
    Which Modine has that squirrel cage fan? I used to have one and it was a traditional fan.
  • PhilJay
    PhilJay Member Posts: 1
    HVACNUT said:

A ductless heatpump system could work too.

And A/C in the summer.

Wouldn't the heat pump work as AC too or am I missing something?

It's a good suggestion either way!
  • hot_rod
    > @td3201 said:
    > Which Modine has that squirrel cage fan? I used to have one and it was a traditional fan.
    PDP are propeller
    BDP are blower option
    mainly the commercial line
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    You do not say where you are. Minot or Miami, it does make a difference. That said, I would suggest the Rinnai EX22C. That unit will modulate from 8,200-21,500. Cool to the touch and you will not hear it run. 2.5" hole for the direct vent kit which is supplied with the unit. Heat a t floor level. I can tell you that when it is 0* out and you are laying on a creeper welding in floor pans, that air across the floor is sweet. Very reliable.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @PhilJay said:
    > A ductless heatpump system could work too.
    >
    > And A/C in the summer.
    >
    > Wouldn't the heat pump work as AC too or am I missing something?
    >
    > It's a good suggestion either way!

Yes, definitely.
    One system for heating and cooling. I recommend Daiken.
  • td3201
    Jack said:

You do not say where you are. Minot or Miami, it does make a difference. That said, I would suggest the Rinnai EX22C. That unit will modulate from 8,200-21,500. Cool to the touch and you will not hear it run. 2.5" hole for the direct vent kit which is supplied with the unit. Heat a t floor level. I can tell you that when it is 0* out and you are laying on a creeper welding in floor pans, that air across the floor is sweet. Very reliable.

I said above I'm in Nebraska. I appreciate the recommendation!
  • td3201
    After further consideration, I'm leaning back toward a Hot Dawg. I wish I could hear one of the new ones in action. My last one was so loud. The description on the new ones say it is quiet. Not sure what changed. It appears the only one with the centrifugal blowers is the water heater? So confused on that.
    https://www.modinehvac.com/web/products/residential-gashydronic-unit-heaters-hotdawg/hot-dawg-h2o-low-profile-horizontal.htm#

What the heck is that used for? The pictures they show just appears to be a normal heater.
  • hot_rod
    I don't see a noise rating in any of their info? Looks like they do use a squirrel cage type blower which is generally quiet.

I know the hydronic versions have a multi-speed motor for some adjustability.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • td3201
    I get the H2O version of it. Took me a while to understand. Not what I'm looking for.

This is the one I'm targeting:
    https://www.modinehvac.com/web/products/residential-gashydronic-unit-heaters-hotdawg/hot-dawg-power-vented-hd.htm

Looks like it does not have a squirrel cage blower. Funny the brochure says "hush puppy quiet (see table)" but no table that talks about how loud it is.
  • hot_rod
    Sure looks like the gas fired Hot Dawg is available as a propeller or blower model? This is the I&O on the link you showed.

If you had a blower type, I wonder if you were hearing the burner inducer motor?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • td3201
    Oh I see now. The HD is the propeller fan and the HDB is the blower. Crazy it's about double the cost for the HDB over the HD. The BTU goes from 40k to 60k but still, that's a lot.

Really wish I could hear these things in action.