Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler on third floor

Options
customer has a shore home and the existing boiler and indirect water heater is on the third floor.

the challenge is the old boiler was a GV 90 so it was low to the ground, the new boiler is an ultra and also has its own piping for the top of the unit I forget what the actual inches are.

there is an existing pan, built pretty sturdy, the wall which it goes on has a slant like a knee wall. so I have to come out about 12 inches and make A FALSE wall to hand or raise the new unit so its not on the ground.
I need some ideas on how should I do this, should I just get a few 6 inch high blocks and put the boiler on 2 ort 2or should I get some blocks and lay wood on top then make a frame then install the boiler on there?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    OK -- I'm confused. In one paragraph you say the boiler is on the third floor. In another you say it is on the ground...

I'm assuming these are fuel burning units, in which case your local authority having jurisdiction may require a fire proof pad under the boiler (I know I would) and, if it is oil, that the pad be able to contain a spill.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Ground = Floor...

Why not use a wall hung and that solves a few issues....
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    boiler is on 3rd floor finish attic with TV and boiler closet ( big). it has a pad with a drain. almost look like an unfinished shower pad incase boiler or indirect water heater leaks. it also had a sand box effect so it has walls roughly 2 inch high ( it may be 4 inches ) old boiler was a GV90 he wants to install a ultra 155 gas. the problem is the wall / knee wall isn't high enough, but if I come out about 10 - 15 inches I can install the Utica with the P/S that comes with the unit but I don't want to put it in the pad I want to raise it and have it secured so it doesn't more .