Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Boiler and indirect water heater recommendations

Hi,
I live in Massachusetts and am getting a new gas boiler and indirect gas water heater installed. Lochnivar gets really bad reviews and my heating guy wants to install that. Could you guys recommend something else as far as brand goes?
Thanks a ton!

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I would highly recommend Lochinvar. They make an excellent product and their tech support is top notch. Make sure you hire a qualified contractor who will size the boiler based on a heat loss calculation and follow the installation manual.

I would also not recommend making any major purchase based on internet reviews. Any person or manufacture can submit a bad review to tarnish the competition. Even if the people posting actually exist and had a problem with the boiler, most boiler issues come down to a bad installation.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    Many boiler reviews whether the reviewer realized it or not are actually installation/design reviews more so than equipment reviews.

Lochinvar would be in most reputable professionals list of top three condensing boiler manufacturers.

Sizing and system design are everything. Especially so with todays lower mass heating systems.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Lochinvar is a great product, #1 in my book. If your heating guy likes the Lochinvar and understands it, knows it, and knows proper installation requirements. I'd stick with his suggestion. Reviews to me have no ranking at all. Non of those are from a professional, and are only part of the full story...…
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    I have been installing the Lochinvar WHN wall mount boiler since nearly day one, almost 8 years since it came out. Have yet to replace a bad part on 100+ units except normal wear and tear items like electrodes. The KHN is the same boiler in a floor model. I am the 1st to gripe about recurring problem boilers so I think this is a pretty good testament. Some of the other models not sooo much but any of the firetube models they make have been really good.
  • Bostongirl
    Bostongirl Member Posts: 7
    Thanks so much for your input guys! This is really helpful. Based on your advice I will go with the Lochnivar! ;)
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    One more for Lochinvar.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes