Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Gas Valve for Empire LP Heater?

dennis53
dennis53 Member Posts: 58
We have an older Empire LP cabinet heater at a remote cabin. The standing pilot unit cycles fine on temperature, but the pilot flame spreads across the entire burner when the call for heat is satisfied. I've asked my local LP dealer about a replacement for the Robertshaw 318-222-190 gas valve, but the valve is obsolete and they would like to sell us a new heater.

Is there a replacement valve that would work in this application or do we need to bite the bullet and buy a new heater?

Dennis
Dennis

Comments

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    It is difficult to advise without more specifics on the unit. What model/year is it? The issue on an old heater is that by the time you buy the part and pay the labor you may well be on the way to a new heater. Also, and perhaps most important, if the gas guys advise replacement, they must have a good reason. I would not throw money at the old one without a thorough look at the heat exchanger to determine its integrity.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    probably by the time your done finding one to fit.. making any necessary changes and the labor involved, your just as well off to replace it. I hate to put good money into something that should retire...
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Is there any other info on the Robertshaw valve you can offer. Also a picture of the valve would help. Then I can probably get you a replacement.
  • dennis53
    Thank you all for your comments. I'm going to try to attach a photo of the valve.
    Dennis
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Is this a ventless heater??? If so PLEASE HAVE A PRO DO THIS AND CHECK THE CO LEVEL.

LIVES MAY BE AT STAKE
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Go to a supply house that handles Robertshaw parts and ask for a Catalog number 700-212. By the way this valve would never be used on a ventless heater.
  • dennis53
    Thank you all. It is a vented cabinet heater, and the worst CO I can get with the Bacharach is 7ppm
    Dennis