Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rinnai RL94 Controller flashing with no error code

Hello,

We bought a house with a Rinnai water heater. This morning I got up and there was no hot water. The controller keeps flashing with NO error code. My husband went outside (it's mounted outside) and turned it off. He came in, tried the water and it was hot. While letting it run, the water stopped. We turned the water off and then turned it back on and it was running hot again. The controller keeps flashing though. We called Rinnai and they didn't know why (controller out of warranty). They told us to call a plumber to look at it. I really don't want that expense if my husband can fix it. Any suggestions? I know it would be helpful if there was an error code, but there isn't. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    I don't have an answer to the question, but... to clarify for others: you said -- I think -- that while letting the water run, it was hot -- and then it stopped. Do you mean the flow stopped? Or the flow continued but the water got cold. It's important...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Once the water flow is turned off, if there is any error code the controller will re-set to the temperature rather than holding the error code. Either read your manual or download the RL's manual and become familiar with the operation of the controller. The RL's will hold the last 9 fault codes, if there are that many. Again your manual will list the fault codes as well.
  • appasgirl
    appasgirl Member Posts: 5
    Hi thanks for answering me. My husband thought the controlling was bad so he bought a new one. It worked for a day. Again the controller flashes with no error code. Hubby thinks that the power is intermittent to the controller.

It would be easier to diagnose if there was an error code to look up (we both know that manual very well). We also called rinnai but they weren’t any help (well the person he spoke to wasn’t). All we have is a flashing controller with no code and no hot water. He did clean out the screen filter and drained the system. It looks like we might have to call an electrician ugh. It’s woeking at the moment again. But I’m sure it will go off for no reason tomorrow.
  • appasgirl
    > @Jamie Hall said:
    > IDo you mean the flow stopped? Or the flow continued but the water got cold. It's important...

Sorry the flow continued but it was not hot.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    while the water is flowing cold (after failure) did you check the control?
  • appasgirl
    Yes and it flashes only. Right now it’s been holding steady for 24 hours. Not sure why. Hopefully it doesn’t go off and start flashing again.
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    What RL series do you have? The series is the 2 letters after REU, it's either a VB or VC.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Most companies with tech Tech support is just that. They typically won't troubleshoot with a homeowner. And you dont need an electrician, you need a heating contractor. Preferably a Rinnai dealer because they're more likely to be familiar with your heater.
    GBartappasgirl
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    HVACNUT said:

Most companies with tech Tech support is just that. They typically won't troubleshoot with a homeowner. And you dont need an electrician, you need a heating contractor. Preferably a Rinnai dealer because they're more likely to be familiar with your heater.

^^^^^TAKE NOTE^^^^, these units are not DIY, you need a factory trained contractor, do not let an electrician anywhere near it or anyone else
    kcopp1Matthiasappasgirl
  • appasgirl
    Thank you all for your advice. It seems the new controller is now working and holding steady. If for some reason it doesn’t, i will get a heating contractor who works on these types of water heaters.