Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler pumping the wrong way

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
I went to a job today, two zones, but the supply, which is usually on top of the boiler is being used as a return and the return as the supply, the pump was mounted inside the boiler jacket. I didn’t want to take the jacket off and investigate further, I was called just to change the zone valves.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    What boiler and model?
    Pics?
    kcoppTinman
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    so it's the direction of the zone valves or something else indicated it was backwards?
  • Snowmelt
    edited July 2018
    direction of zone valve, the placement of the purging ( ball valve and hose bib. when I turn the t-stat up and the heat went the same way the zone valves where facing. I am going to assume the pump was going in that direction also.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Old cast iron boiler? Never be a afraid to investigate. Where would Holmes be with that attitude.
    Tinman
  • Snowmelt
    yes old cast iron boiler
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    Some of the old boilers have the circ on the return inside the extended jacket. The Weil McLain pancake, York Shipley, American Standard Arcoleader, etc.
    delta TTinmanRich_49
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Maybe who ever installed the zone valve in the first place didn't take the cover off either.
  • Snowmelt
    I would agree with you but when running the boiler it did heat in the direction of the zone valves
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited July 2018
    if they have no complaints over how it heats and how much fuel..I'd leave it.. Can fix it when they go with a new system..
  • Snowmelt
    That’s what I am going to do.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    Originally one circulator was supposed to make hot water heating foolproof. So much simpler than steam. Nowadays hydronic schematics resemble spilled spaghetti.