Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air to water heat pumps, anyone have feedback on makes

Been looking at the Solstice extreme from Space Pak and the Aermec. Talked to John Siegenthaler who happens to be doing some evaluation for Solstice. He has one and used it through this winter and is quite impressed so far. Anyone have any current experience with these makes

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    I've been following Siggys system also. The Solstice uses heat from the buffer tank to defrost, instead of a resistance strip, that helps with efficiency. Works quickly also.
    I'd say his temperature conditions this past winter were a good test of cold weather performance.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • bnjmn
    bnjmn Member Posts: 53
    Thermatlantic.
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    this is very interesting as i want to reduce the carbon footprint for future generations
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161

this is very interesting as i want to reduce the carbon footprint for future generations

Just be careful to consider where the electricity is coming from. If your heat pump can really return more than two and a half times the electricity it uses in the form of heat, then it will be a gain with pretty much any electricity source. However, if your return is less, and you are running from a natural gas, coal, or oil fired plant, you are actually producing more carbon, not less, as the power plant efficiency is so much less than the direct fired efficiency of a gas or oil fired hot water heater...

Now if you are running from a solar, wind, or nuclear facility, that's not a problem, of course.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    SENWiEco