Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Carrier Infinity thermal lockout low/high stage

Jon Held_2
Jon Held_2 Member Posts: 21
Carrier Infinity central AC system installed in 2006. Has worked flawlessly until last night.
Model# 38TDB036-301
Yearly filter changes (MERV13); both sets of coils clear.
I'm getting constant thermal lockouts on both high and low stages. Power cycled unit via circuit breakers several times. This allows the unit to start after a 7 minute delay, and it will continue to run for about 10 minutes and cut back off.

Does anyone have any experience with these units and can possibly point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Mike
    Mike Member Posts: 94
    After your cycled the power, and waited at least 30 seconds. Was the outdoor fan on, before the shutdown? Ifor it was on, more than likely it is a sensor failure. You'll need to call your service company.
  • Jon Held_2
    Service company is here now. Bad compressor is what I was told.
    I was also told that the labor costs to replace the compressor is foolish compared to a complete condenser replacement.
  • Jon Held_2
    Condenser fan is on, compressor shuts off after a second or 2. He was holding in the contactor which should bypass the logic.
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Sounds right, go new, putting a new compressor in a 12 year old condensing unit isn't wise. Just be sure it's a matching Infinity that will work with the communicating system.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Those systems had a change in there listed subcool rating. Some are as high 19*F. It has probable been doing it from the start just never noticed it. Check with Carrier for the service bulletin on that model.
  • unclejohn
    Also since your alleged repairman was holding in the contactor I would recommend fining a repairman who actually knows how to service your hi. end unit. I would not replace that compressor on his say so. Let it cool down and check the charge at the very least. The name plate subcool is 15*f. You may have lost some charge and the compressor is running hot.
  • Jon Held_2
    edited July 2018
    First thing he did was put gauges on it to check the charge. As far as letting it cool down, it was off all night until he got on site. I tried to fire the system up this morning around 8am after having the breakers off for both condenser and evap. There was no active fault, so I suppose it clears/resets after a period of time. The compressor fired and died after a second or 2.
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    Most likely this unit has a 2-stage Bristol compressor. If so, I'm surprised it lasted this long. Carrier had a program to replace the entire outdoor unit at a reduced price. It ends 10-years from the date of manufacture.
  • unclejohn
    edited July 2018
    The Bristols had two contactors, one for CW and one for CCW rotation. Thats how they got the two stage operation. The wiring was to say the least challenging. I have seen maybe 3 of those units and one oy my customers elected for the replacement compressor. And his was a heat pump as far as I know it's still running. You most certainly need the manual to service those units. I thought at first he had the newer model with a two speed scroll.
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Dan Foley said:
    On that link there's a download to read the entire bulletin, it includes proper troubleshooting procedures, etc and appropriate replacement units.

You will need a factory authorized dealer to complete the form and perform the factory tests that prove what is actually wrong.
  • Jon Held_2
    I'm going with a new condenser unit. 24ANB636 which should play nicely with my evap unit and controls. The cost is easier to deal with than the impending family revolt after staying in a home that cools down to 85 degrees with 90% humidity at night. It also doesn't make sense to me to throw money and time at a 13 year old unit, time being the crucial factor.
    I need to cool this house and quell the revolt. Another day in the 90s today in Jersey, and the installers will be here tomorrow morning.
    Mike
  • AMservices
    AMservices Member Posts: 610
    Did any one check the capacitor in that unit?
    If the capacitor is bad, the compressor will turn on for 2 seconds and stop or sometimes trip the breaker.
    GBartmattmia2
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Silly question time, can you get a price for a new indoor coil and re-boot the entire warranty process? I don't think you can get a warranty on the outdoor unit alone, but i could be wrong. i know with lennox you need both indoor and outdoor coil ser numbers to get the full warranty.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • zachsdad
    zachsdad Member Posts: 1
    Carrier Unit throwing code: 82 suction overt emp lockout. Unit 1 year old had 1 year service done no issues. Came out on 9/7/2019 stated it was Cooper in ground being wet needed to dry it out and move water coming from drain pipe to be dry. Dryed up area with rocks and topsoil through code about 230-300pm. Reset by turning off breaker per service tech. ??
  • gray1946
    gray1946 Member Posts: 1
    My carrier dealer doesn’t have anyone to service an infinity unit. Any ideas?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    gray1946 said:
    My carrier dealer doesn’t have anyone to service an infinity unit. Any ideas?
    ThankYou for reviving a 4 year old thread. 

Find a different Carrier dealer!
    SuperTech