Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyone see this DIY split?

Options
https://mrcooldiy.com/. Seems interesting........
Homeowner, Entrepreneur, Mechanic, Electrician,

"The toes you step on today are connected to the butt you'll have to kiss tomorrow". ---Vincent "Buddy" Cianci

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    Looks like another consumer-grade mini split with Aeroquip linesets.

I wonder what kind of warranty they have?

• GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    edited June 2018
    Options
    That's hysterical, I love the picture of the soccer mom putting up the head, yeah just a couple of screws in the sheet rock and voila" you have AC.

And the sizing charts, no load calc necessary, 18k will cool up to 750 sq ft, yep.
  • GBart
    Options
    and look WOW they even have -- Degree Temperature Control
    Control the temperature of your space down to the degree using MRCOOL DIY's sensor technology.

WOW down to the degree!!!
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • GBart
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Some fun reviews I found--

I just tried to order the 12k of this version and they drop ship it and it arrived majorly damaged. Then had a replacement sent after talking to Mr. Cool about having them package it better but that one just arrived damaged as well. They used UPS both times too.

Installation is incredibly simple if you are handy. Handy meaning you aren't afraid of cutting a hole in the side of your home, installing a 220V breaker in your panel, and running wiring from your panel to a disconnect box (same style of box as your normal home AC, wouldn't run it without it!) with an appropriately sized fuse and breaker.

I had a handyman do it, and I assisted. Maybe the cardboard cutout of where to cut was slightly off for me, but the worst part was bending the hose through the hole in the wall. It took two hours, and it still wasn't done right. It's slightly pushing off the wall. Because of this, the unit will not clasp on the bracker, and is hanging off on one side. The plastic at the bottom is thin, and is pushing down on one side. I've learned to ignore it, but if you look at it straight on, it looks lopsided.

the app that doesn't work very well. The app is nice when it works, but that's only about 0.001% of the time.

Immediately the problems started with is unit. When the unit works, it works wonderfully. However, it does not function properly the majority of the time. We have experienced a variety of error codes and issues.

I will not buy from this brand again. The anticipated savings of this DIY unit demonstrate the old saying the cheap comes out expensive. For a little more, we will be going with a reputable brand with higher SEER, and its clear I should have gone that route from the get-go!
  • GBart
    Options
    check out their video, wow just a few misstatements there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=133&v=6NySnMzvWP8
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    Ummm…
  • 1Matthias
    1Matthias Member Posts: 148
    Options
    ....Ok, this has to be spam.
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    @ThomasMiller1 works for the company linked in his reply. In every one of his posts... he always links back to that same HVAC supply company.

Either that... or he's an AI?
    1Matthias