Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for a #2 Fuel Oil Company with LONG HOSE

AArbittier
AArbittier Member Posts: 4
I have a oil fired pool heater in the back of my yard which uses #2 fuel oil. I can't find a fuel oil company that will make a once per year fuel delivery that has a very long delivery hose. ANYONE have any recommendations PLEASE ?
EMAIL ....AArbittier@Verizon.net
EzzyT

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Most fuel trucks carry a standard amount of hose.

It’s either get the truck closer to the tank, or the tank closer to the truck.
    GBart
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    Define "long". Some oil companies may have one truck with a hose up 150 feet or so. Most won't. For a simple reason: that long a hose is a real bear to drag into position. Also a longer hose means a special rewind drum on the truck.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    GBart
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited June 2018
    150' is the maximum allowed by law for a truck with only a driver. Driver must be no farther the 150' from truck during a delivery.
    I've never heard of that law being enforced, but I imagine if there was a leak at the truck during a delivery and the driver was more than 150', some lawyer would have a field day.

There is a solution. Figure out how much extra hose you need, add about 15' to that number. Have the fuel company make up a hose with a standard ball valve then scully fitting on one side, and a scully nozzle on the other side. You'll buy that hose and keep it.
    Use your hose to make up the difference. They pull to your hose, connect, open their scully, your ball valve, and go make the fill with your scully. Then when they're done, shut off pump, open your scully, close their scully, lift hose.
    Close ball valve, disconnect their hose, pay him send him on his way.
    Then you can lift your hose, open the ball valve, walk the hose back and drain it into the tank. Close the valve, roll up your hose and save it for next years delivery.
    steve
    HVACNUTGBartCLamb
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    put 10 or 20 gallons in ur self,that should last u a while
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
    HVACNUT
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited June 2018
    Get a heatpump or gas fired.
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746

put 10 or 20 gallons in ur self,that should last u a while

yeah about 3 minutes with a pool heater
  • GBart
    edited June 2018

150' is the maximum allowed by law for a truck with only a driver. Driver must be no farther the 150' from truck during a delivery.
    I've never heard of that law being enforced, but I imagine if there was a leak at the truck during a delivery and the driver was more than 150', some lawyer would have a field day.

There is a solution. Figure out how much extra hose you need, add about 15' to that number. Have the fuel company make up a hose with a standard ball valve then scully fitting on one side, and a scully nozzle on the other side. You'll buy that hose and keep it.
    Use your hose to make up the difference. They pull to your hose, connect, open their scully, your ball valve, and go make the fill with your scully. Then when they're done, shut off pump, open your scully, close their scully, lift hose.
    Close ball valve, disconnect their hose, pay him send him on his way.
    Then you can lift your hose, open the ball valve, walk the hose back and drain it into the tank. Close the valve, roll up your hose and save it for next years delivery.

No don't do that, you're inviting a leak and a visit from the EPA. If I was a driver and saw that rig I'd leave, they are still responsible. When your whistle goes off you still have all that oil in the hose the tank will overfill every time.

Whoever put that system in is responsible., was it inspected??? The town building inspector maybe would have noticed but to put a system or tank in that can't be filled is kind of stupid.
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited June 2018
    GBart said:

No don't do that, you're inviting a leak and a visit from the EPA. If I was a driver and saw that rig I'd leave, they are still responsible. When your whistle goes off you still have all that oil in the hose the tank will overfill every time.

You're wrong incorrect ('wrong' sounded harsh). A properly installed tank whistle leaves enough room for the extra few gallons in the whip. You can even change it to a longer whistle if it was even close to a problem (which it probably is not). The company can bring another person to stand by the truck (probably for an extra fee), making it perfectly legal. Many companies use a driver/helper set up now a days.
    No visit from the EPA.
    I've made up a few whips like this for customers with generators in unfortunate places. The ones for generators have a regular gas station type nozzle. The ones for a large tank/whistle set up are made as I stated above. Never a spill, not a drop.

I agree, the tank should be moved to where a proper fill can take place, and you can use a long fuel supply line to the heater, but I would be more concerned about spilling oil from a split fuel line after a winter.

Where are you located OP?

steve
  • GBart
    I dunno, it would have to figured carefully, you can get maybe 15 gal space, 100ft of hose holds 9, so it would be close at 60gpm.
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited June 2018
    You're only draining what's in the whip. You can make the whip out of 1". I would only recommend about 25' of extra hose max.
    The main hose won't drain anyway due to a check valve at the meter. When I had to change a 150' 3/8, I think I blew out about 10-15 gallons.

Pool heaters use a lot of energy (heating oil). A few of my customers that had them either ran an oil line from their main house tank and/or just abandoned them due to the high operating cost. Usually an underground tank for aesthetics.

There are also companies that use an pickup with a small tank, regular scully set up and 150' of hose for hard to reach places, or severe snow deliveries (4 wheel drive). Maybe they could drive it closer to the tank.
    Worse case would be small transfer tank on wheels, dragging it from oil truck to tank.
    We still don't know the total distance involved.

Solar pool heater would be better...and free, right?
    Or @Mark Eatherton idea of using your driveway melt system in the summer to heat a pool.
    steve
  • Ignatz
    Ignatz Member Posts: 16
    Back in the 70's, there were a few fuel oil trucks that had.....175' x 1 1/4" hose that went on a Philadelphia Valve hose reel. The driver had to "reel" up the hose absolutely perfect, or the hose wouldn't fit at the end of wrapping it up. I don't remember, but some didn't fit and might of had 5 or more feet cut off and recoupled.

This is back when many fuel oil trucks had gas engines!
  • GBart
    edited June 2018
    Solar heater would be nice, saw a great one once, they made a lean-to picnic area off the side of the pool for shade and bar- b- q, about 12x20 I think and the low end was @8ft high. the roof was all solar panel, came out the pump-filter, up through and into the pool, for the amount of energy wasted on heating a pool solar heating should be mandatory.

and yeah, we never got an actual measurement from the poster, not sure if you should down size a delivery hose for an extension but I would sure have the customer sign a waiver
  • chapchap70
    chapchap70 Member Posts: 139

I am a driver in NY and have not heard of this law. 175 feet hoses are rather common around here.

I have heard of a hazmat law that in essence says that the driver or responsible person (helper) is supposed to be able to see the truck while the delivery is in progress.
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited July 2018
    49 CFR 177.837
    ...(d)Unloading combustible liquids. For a cargo tank unloading a material meeting the definition for combustible liquid in § 173.150(f) of this subchapter, the qualified person attending the unloading operation must remain within 45.72 meters (150 feet) of the cargo tank and 7.62 meters (25 feet) of the delivery hose and must observe both the cargo tank and the receiving container at least once every five minutes during unloading operations that take more than five minutes to complete.

-------
    "...qualified person attending the unloading operation must remain within 45.72 meters (150 feet) of the cargo tank..."

Can't necessarily be within 150' if you pull out more then 150' of hose.
    Like I said earlier, I doubt anyone, anywhere is driving around measuring hose length unless there was a spill. For that reason, the truck builders I have used will only put a 150' hose on the truck, probably to CYA.

Edit: BTW, we never heard from the OP...probably swimming
    steve
    CTOilHeat
  • How times do change . We used to fill up container vessels at Port N.Y. , Port Jersey , Port Elizabeth , Port Newark . They'd always send a helper with the driver . HAD to get there at mid-tide or the ships were way up there , or way down there . Extra hoses, just in case . 'C' clamps in case the flanges didn't match up with the NORWEGIAN vessel's . Never saw anyone but a mate on the ship or the dock foreman . 5 gallon buckets (actually made of metal) helped to subdue any mess . "Bring those stinky fuel oil uniforms home to my house one more time ." says mom . EPA was the neighbor kids initials....
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • chapchap70
    chapchap70 Member Posts: 139
    edited August 2018

49 CFR 177.837
    ...(d)Unloading combustible liquids. For a cargo tank unloading a material meeting the definition for combustible liquid in § 173.150(f) of this subchapter, the qualified person attending the unloading operation must remain within 45.72 meters (150 feet) of the cargo tank and 7.62 meters (25 feet) of the delivery hose and must observe both the cargo tank and the receiving container at least once every five minutes during unloading operations that take more than five minutes to complete.

-------
    "...qualified person attending the unloading operation must remain within 45.72 meters (150 feet) of the cargo tank..."

Can't necessarily be within 150' if you pull out more then 150' of hose.
    Like I said earlier, I doubt anyone, anywhere is driving around measuring hose length unless there was a spill. For that reason, the truck builders I have used will only put a 150' hose on the truck, probably to CYA.

Edit: BTW, we never heard from the OP...probably swimming

Ok, I sort of remember this ridiculousness now; I tried to block it out. Another case of the people writing laws having no clue. :#:#

Do we really want drivers standing 20 feet from the hose/nozzle when oil is flowing at a rate of more than one gallon per second? Totally within their boundary.

How is one supposed to observe the receiving tank if it is buried underground?

If a receiving tank is in the basement, a driver can stop the oil flow and gain access midway through a delivery to observe it. I guess the customer is supposed to leave his house unlocked if they are not home?

A driver can pull the hose 130' up the right side of a house, make a left turn and continue 45' to the center rear of the house where the outside tank is located. As long as the cargo tank can be observed through the rear and front windows, its all good because it is within 150' if I run through the house. :pensive:

Edited to add half of last sentence.
  • Be a man . Get some run out cans . The exercise will make the pool feel even better . 10 gallons a day . What's that to a pool owner ?
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited August 2018
    Tank in house, oil line sleeved and buried at least 12" deep to pool heater. That's my solution.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!