Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking pipe / fix now or wait for season?

Options
Hi, I have a very slight leak where a pipe is connected near the return on my steam boiler. Is there any benefit to getting it fixed now as opposed to waiting until I have the boiler serviced early fall?
Thank you!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Indeed there is. Folks are likely to be a little less busy now, than when people start their boilers in the fall and find they don't work...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    1MatthiasSTEVEusaPA
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Plus, if there are other issues might as well fix them too before the fall, or when it's very hot/humid in the basement.
    steve
  • Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Fixing the leak will require disassembling the piping to replace the leaking joint. That's going to be a chore - the large-size pipe may require a couple of burley plumbers, and potentially complicated by no unions shown in the picture. Who knows what problems might arise - fix it now.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    have the service done now..that way all the gunk from last winter doesnt have time to harden in.. and people arent as stressed from calls... they will do a better job..