Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Conversion burners, Boston area

Options
ChrisNdm
ChrisNdm Member Posts: 2
I've read through the conversion burner threads and hoped to start a new one for 2018. Have yet to find a contractor in the Boston area who will do a conversion burner on a 2006 Weil Mclain SGO-3 (oil fired steam). Is it the mechanics or the potential liability that is causing them to say the conversion burners "cause a lot of problems." Also, without discussing pricing, what is the difference between a conversion burner and an entirely new boiler install? Is a new install 2X, 3X, 4X more expensive than a conversion? Thanks.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,839
    Options
    You're referring to a gas conversion?
    I've done a handful using the Carlin EZ Pro on the Weil McLain GO boilers. I'm sure Riello and Beckett offers burners as well.
    The flue passages must be spotless, and it will need a gas draft regulator, a spill switch and a SS chimney liner.
    Should be a piece of cake.
    Pretty sure there are pros here from the Boston area. Click on find a contractor in my area link.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    You should be able to find someone here on the wall to do it for you.
    Carlin & Beckett both have done extensive work on conversion burners and have the specs to match up to your boiler.
    Now that being said, what condition is your 12 year old steamer in? Have you added a lot of water over the years.
    As far as pricing, it really depends on the job. For the conversion burner, running the gas line and chimney lining issues.
    For a new steamer, that of course depends on how much near boiler piping needs to be fixed, corrected, etc.
    I'd say, all things being equal maybe 5-6X the cost.
    steve
  • ChrisNdm
    ChrisNdm Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you. And I should have mentioned that, yes, this is an oil to gas conversion that will involve piping gas to the burner as well as lining the chimney.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I think this site has a number of people in your area who would do a fine job.
    I lean toward Carlin for this, but Beckett and Riello would also work.
    I would line with SS, and keep the oil burner, too (Actually I like oil so I wouldn't even do it).
    When gas prices go up, you may want to but the oil burner back in.
    Did you do some math to see if you are actually going to save some money, or is there something else driving the conversion?
    steve
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Charlie Garrity 413-841-6726 located in the Springfield MA area he will travel.
    STEVEusaPA
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I'm just a homeowner but I had a brand new Smith G8 installed in 2012 with a Carlin EZ-Gas. Your going to have to remove the oil tank as well as clean that boiler REALLY _ REALLY well. So I'm going to say the liner, conversion burner, oil tank removal, and boiler cleaning could be more like 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a full boiler replacement in this area.

Be very sure there is nothing wrong with the piping before you think about converting.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge